problemperson
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
well... I enrolled Sept this year, received 1st installment of MA loan. Then city erupted into party central when about 2000 unmasked students arrived in town one weekend.
Also timetable for uni said I had to go in for 3 hour classroom sessions every week, and I'd assumed it would be online now. So I panicked, dropped off my course and ran away to visit family in remote countryside. I had a learning contract but not for anxiety specifically.

Anyway. A month later I'm back in town and predictably things have calmed down, everyone's wearing masks pretty much, etc. Uni said it was too late to rejoin my course, but there is another intake in January, which I'm interested in joining, since I get a discount for being a 2020 graduate of the same uni.

BUT. Student finance say I can't have the other 2 thirds of MA loan, as I've 'already received a postgraduate loan'.
No - I have only received one third of it!

Since I get a discount from my uni for being a 2020 graduate of same uni, I would still be able to pay for MA and start in January, with the remaining 2 thirds of the MA loan, which I applied for and which was approved - ie student finance agreed to give me that much - £11222, not £3700.

Am I really doomed to spend the rest of my life on jobseekers allowance because student finance won't let me have the other 2 thirds of the loan they agreed I was entitled to?

I am not paying 30p a minute to phone you - I just don't have that kind of money, and probably never will at this rate. Sneaky feeling phoning will be futile too.
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by problemperson)
well... I enrolled Sept this year, received 1st installment of MA loan. Then city erupted into party central when about 2000 unmasked students arrived in town one weekend.
Also timetable for uni said I had to go in for 3 hour classroom sessions every week, and I'd assumed it would be online now. So I panicked, dropped off my course and ran away to visit family in remote countryside. I had a learning contract but not for anxiety specifically.

Anyway. A month later I'm back in town and predictably things have calmed down, everyone's wearing masks pretty much, etc. Uni said it was too late to rejoin my course, but there is another intake in January, which I'm interested in joining, since I get a discount for being a 2020 graduate of the same uni.

BUT. Student finance say I can't have the other 2 thirds of MA loan, as I've 'already received a postgraduate loan'.
No - I have only received one third of it!

Since I get a discount from my uni for being a 2020 graduate of same uni, I would still be able to pay for MA and start in January, with the remaining 2 thirds of the MA loan, which I applied for and which was approved - ie student finance agreed to give me that much - £11222, not £3700.

Am I really doomed to spend the rest of my life on jobseekers allowance because student finance won't let me have the other 2 thirds of the loan they agreed I was entitled to?

I am not paying 30p a minute to phone you - I just don't have that kind of money, and probably never will at this rate. Sneaky feeling phoning will be futile too.
Hi, if your university told us you withdrew from the last course, instead of temporarily suspended. Then you wouldn't be funded to receive the full funding again unless you have Compelling Personal Reasons http://ow.ly/MsMM30pjjOm and can provide evidence.

If you temporarily suspended then your funding will have been paused and you will be able to resume the course and receive the rest of the funds.

Our number is a landline number, not a premium number. You can also contact us on Facebook/Twitter, if you want us to check your account you can message us with your name and CRN number.
Thanks, Isaac
problemperson
Rep:
?
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
Hi, if your university told us you withdrew from the last course, instead of temporarily suspended. Then you wouldn't be funded to receive the full funding again unless you have Compelling Personal Reasons http://ow.ly/MsMM30pjjOm and can provide evidence.

If you temporarily suspended then your funding will have been paused and you will be able to resume the course and receive the rest of the funds.

Our number is a landline number, not a premium number. You can also contact us on Facebook/Twitter, if you want us to check your account you can message us with your name and CRN number.
Thanks, Isaac
Thank you for answering so quickly! I'm not sure if panicking because there was a pandemic and I was overwhelmed with anxiety when teaching started counts as a 'compelling reason' - I have a feeling I would need some kind of doctor's certificate saying I had anxiety or whatever and of course the last place I was going to hang about in during a pandemic is a doctor's surgery attached to a university. Tough luck I guess. Shame student finance can't be more flexible given the exceptional events of 2020, since my university are doing all they can.
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you for answering so quickly! I'm not sure if panicking because there was a pandemic and I was overwhelmed with anxiety when teaching started counts as a 'compelling reason' - I have a feeling I would need some kind of doctor's certificate saying I had anxiety or whatever and of course the last place I was going to hang about in during a pandemic is a doctor's surgery attached to a university. Tough luck I guess. Shame student finance can't be more flexible given the exceptional events of 2020, since my university are doing all they can.
Anxiety is a valid reason. If you can't get medical evidence then you can ask your tutor/university to write a letter for you.
Thanks, Isaac
problemperson
Rep:
?
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
Anxiety is a valid reason. If you can't get medical evidence then you can ask your tutor/university to write a letter for you.
Thanks, Isaac
Oh! Thanks for that advice - I'll see what I can do if you think it might work - worth a try anyway thanks ^_^
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oh! Thanks for that advice - I'll see what I can do if you think it might work - worth a try anyway thanks ^_^
You're welcome, I hope you have a lovely weekend.
Thanks, Isaac
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (77)
17.95%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (124)
28.9%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (161)
37.53%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (54)
12.59%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (13)
3.03%

Watched Threads