What do I need for A Level Maths (self-study)

Watch
Semperlupe
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Basically as the title says...

I used to be a Psychology (AQA) teacher, but have no idea about other subjects. I am a private candidate (a bit too old for sixth form/college).

I intend to take the Maths A level in June 2020, but I have no idea how to prepare myself (I already have a similar qualification from a non-UK country, but that was ages ago).

Anyone here taking A Level Maths and can tell me what book they use? For Psychology for example, it's just two books (one for AS and one for A2) that you work through and once you have done that, you should know everything required.
Bobchain97
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Semperlupe)

I used to be a Psychology (AQA) teacher, but have no idea about other subjects. I am a private candidate (a bit too old for sixth form/college).

I intend to take the Maths A level in June 2020, but I have no idea how to prepare myself (I already have a similar qualification from a non-UK country, but that was ages ago).

Anyone here taking A Level Maths and can tell me what book they use? For Psychology for example, it's just two books (one for AS and one for A2) that you work through and once you have done that, you should know everything required.
CGP books but the proper one assuming its for edexcel it would be " Edexcel A level Mathematics Pure Mathematics Year 1/2 ActiveBook" and this is only Pure which accounts to 2/3 of maths and then you have mechanics and statistics which go under Applied
Bobchain97
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

CGP books but the proper one assuming its for edexcel it would be " Edexcel A level Mathematics Pure Mathematics Year 1/2 ActiveBook" and this is only Pure which accounts to 2/3 of maths and then you have mechanics and statistics which go under Applied .
Semperlupe
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bobchain97)
CGP books but the proper one assuming its for edexcel it would be " Edexcel A level Mathematics Pure Mathematics Year 1/2 ActiveBook" and this is only Pure which accounts to 2/3 of maths and then you have mechanics and statistics which go under Applied
Is EdExcel a good exam board for Maths?
Semperlupe
Rep:
?
So if I understand correctly, to cover all the material, I will need the Pure AND Mechanics and statistics for AS and A2 (i.e. 4 books) to know everything for the EdExcel board?
c1student
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i presume you mean june 2021?

i do Ocr mei
i would also recommend the cgp books and we also have an as and a2 textbook that you should be able to get off amazon.
TM3141
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So if I understand correctly, to cover all the material, I will need the Pure AND Mechanics and statistics for AS and A2 (i.e. 4 books) to know everything for the EdExcel board?
Yes pure and applied is needed
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Do you mean 2021? Which board?

This is a good website: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/sow.php...2017&term=Main

It has PPTs teaching each topic
Bobchain97
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Tbh i am not really sure but the main ones tend to be OCR,AQA and edexcel. I do edexcel and it seems fine.
Bobchain97
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Tbh i am not really sure but the main ones tend to be OCR,AQA and edexcel. I do edexcel and it seems fine.

Yes , 4 books ( as/a2 pure and as/a2 (statistics and mechanics)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (188)
58.2%
I don't have everything I need (135)
41.8%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed