xx.graceanna
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
How do you choose the right uni for you? No matter the extensive research of course and accommodation, I feel like I get no where in deciding where I want to go. And how do you trust reviews of unis and rankings when they all say something different. Is it better to choose a uni on course or on its stella reputation?

Need some advice on finding the right uni.
MinnieW09
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Have you been to open days? Even virtual ones can help you get a feel for the place.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by xx.graceanna)
How do you choose the right uni for you? No matter the extensive research of course and accommodation, I feel like I get no where in deciding where I want to go. And how do you trust reviews of unis and rankings when they all say something different. Is it better to choose a uni on course or on its stella reputation?

The first thing to do is come up with a list of priorities of what you want from a university, then compare them. The problem with all these sites and rankings is they are arbitrary. You need to think about what is most important from a course, university & the city. Then use your criteria combined with your academics to create a list of unis you are most interested in.

I really wouldn't let accommodation be the defining factor tho, halls are a lot of luck and you only live in them for 1 year (in most cases).
Last edited by mnot; 2 months ago
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

Hi!

I made a list of unis that did the course I wanted to study and put them in order of ranking and what I thought I could achieve in my a levels. I choose more than 5 then made a list of the pros and cons of the university. Whether it be the course, student satisfaction, employability, student life, etc.
It really helps to go to open days. Many universities are doing virtual open days, so have a look at these. Given government covid guidelines it's a shame that you may not be able to visit where the university is, as this is a great opportunity for you to feel what the place is like, even if it's not on an open day, just to explore the city. Also, have a look at what the city has to offer because you've got to remember it'll be your second home so you've got to feel comfortable there.

I hope this helps!
Chloe - Official Student Rep
xx.graceanna
Rep:
?
I know I need to start looking, I feel like virtual ones aren’t going to give us the proper feel or experience we need
xx.graceanna
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hi!

I made a list of unis that did the course I wanted to study and put them in order of ranking and what I thought I could achieve in my a levels. I choose more than 5 then made a list of the pros and cons of the university. Whether it be the course, student satisfaction, employability, student life, etc.
It really helps to go to open days. Many universities are doing virtual open days, so have a look at these. Given government covid guidelines it's a shame that you may not be able to visit where the university is, as this is a great opportunity for you to feel what the place is like, even if it's not on an open day, just to explore the city. Also, have a look at what the city has to offer because you've got to remember it'll be your second home so you've got to feel comfortable there.

I hope this helps!
Chloe - Official Student Rep
This does help, thank you. I am just stressed about the idea of going to the ‘best uni’ in terms of ranking, but what if this isn’t the best uni for course choice or my overall experience.
Uni of Hull Students
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

Hi xx.graceanna,

I understand the feeling which you are having, when you first begin looking at what university to apply for, the search can seem never ending. I think any league table could be used for guidance but not an absolute indicator of where is great, the league tables consider various attributes of the university including academic research, facilities and student satisfaction. What you have already noticed is that different league tables tend to rank some universities in different places, depending what their ranking system is based on (which can get a bit confusing).

I think its most important to find the university which is personally the best for you, as University of Portsmouth Student Rep mentioned, it may be beneficial to go to the virtual open days, whilst these may not allow you to get the full 'feel' of campus, it may help you with your choices, as many open days have student ambassadors that you can talk to (great to get some first hand experience) and academics which you can ask questions to (good for finding out the technical details about the course and opportunities there).

I know how stressful this time is and I hope you find the right university for you.

Best of luck with it!
Millie
Student Rep
University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

Hey xx.graceanna

I made my decision on where I could 'see myself' studying for the duration of my degree. I did my undergrad at Aberdeen and wanted to experience studying at a university away from home. I had a great uni experience and I didn't need to travel too far away (only three hours on the train) if I wanted to come home for the weekend. I've also experienced university life as a student staying at home. I moved back home four years ago to study for the Graduate Entry LLB and I still had a similar uni experience although I lived at home. I visited both Aberdeen and Strathclyde to get a feel for the campus. Unfortunately, you can't visit any campuses just now but as University of Portsmouth Student Rep recommended, have a look at the virtual open days.

You may find Uni Buddy useful to have a one to one chat with students on the course. Do some research on your preferred universities and take your time before making your decision.

Good luck

Melissa- Student Ambassador
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
This does help, thank you. I am just stressed about the idea of going to the ‘best uni’ in terms of ranking, but what if this isn’t the best uni for course choice or my overall experience.
Going to a university based on ranking is the wrong reason. You need to base it on location and course. It needs to be somewhere that you will be happy and enjoy and the course that is right for you.

Ask yourself how far or near do you want to be from home. This will depend on how often you intend going home.

Would you feel more comfortable in smaller places or big cities like London, Birmingham, Leeds and Manchester.

Are you more interested in a campus university where you live for the first year. These are usually away from the town/city or a city one where most accommodation is a walk from the usually close to city centres.

Are you a nightlife or sporty person. What are those facilities like in each university.

You also need to ask yourself are the modules for the course what you want to study.
abiloui5e
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hi- i’m in the same situation struggling to choose at the moment. The various virtual open days didn’t seem to help at all and were all very similar focusing on statistics and ranking. i’m worried that i’ll move somewhere and hate it, as it’s impossible to get a feel for places about 4 hours away that i can’t visit!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (49)
17.63%
No one else does (87)
31.29%
I'm embarrassed about my background (29)
10.43%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (94)
33.81%
We don't use a video platform (6)
2.16%
I don't have a camera (7)
2.52%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
2.16%

Watched Threads