how does Stevenson present Science as something to be feared? in jekyll and hyde

Watch this thread
iris kh
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
how does Stevenson present Science as something to be feared? in Jekyll and hyde.
I am not sure how to do this essay because there is not much to say in my eyes it would be great if someone could give hand please it is due on Thursday
lily547
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
I haven't read the book for a while so I don't remember any quotes but what I would say is break up the question to see more.
So for this question first think how does Stevenson present science?
then think of some quotes and points and then link it to how Stevenson thinks it should be feared.

eg
Stevenson presents science through the character Mr Hyde. The use of nomenculture( i think its called something like that) could be used to reflect the duality of the character. Hyde hides within Jekyll and is Jekyll freedom( waffle about the reasons hyde was created). However, Hyde is made from science, his names therefore suggests that we should hide from science as it is something to be feared.

ANother point is about the doctor who is so scared from seeing the transformation he died, wrote something about how we should fear science because it will harm us, maybe talk about the 'safeness' of religion.

I'm not sure if this is very helpful,hope your essay goes well : ))
lily547
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I haven't read the book for a while so I don't remember any quotes but what I would say is break up the question to see more.
then think of some quotes and points and then link it to how Stevenson thinks it should be feared.

eg
Stevenson presents science through the character Mr Hyde. The use of nomenculture( i think its called something like that) could be used to reflect the duality of the character. Hyde hides within Jekyll and is Jekyll freedom( waffle about the reasons hyde was created). However, Hyde is made from science, his names therefore suggests that we should hide from science as it is something to be feared.

ANother point is about the doctor who is so scared from seeing the transformation he died, wrote something about how we should fear science because it will harm us, maybe talk about the 'safeness' of religion.

I'm not sure if this is very helpful,hope your essay goes well : )
lily547
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
eg

(Original post by iris kh)
how does Stevenson present Science as something to be feared? in Jekyll and hyde.
I am not sure how to do this essay because there is not much to say in my eyes it would be great if someone could give hand please it is due on Thursday
AstaYunoo
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Add in processes of devolution how Hyde's animalistic behaviour doesn't match social normalities of a human in general with a different anatomy completely. You can go into natural selection/survival of the fittest when you see Jekyll being suppressed due to Hyde's over powerful presence (even though he has a small dwarf like stature)

Of course I did gcse's 2 years ago so use quotations to back it up etc
iris kh
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by lily547)

eg

I'm not sure if this is very helpful,hope your essay goes well : )
Thanks this helped very much
jamesg2
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I believe your question is the wrong question. Stevenson never considered Science as something to be feared. He was a voracious reader of all things science A better question might be, does the novella J&H examine the arrogance of human beings to believe they can uses science to change the human condition. That would be a better and more truthful question. I am not going to answer this question for you, but I will provide four hints for you to further develop.

1. Jekyll’s intent was a good and moral one to improve the condition of man. However as his old friend Dr. Lanyon warned Jekyll such a pursuit was against the very purpose of science. This division of opinion - which is about the fundamentals of science - would be worth exploring.

2. Jekyll may have had a moral intent, but he threw that intent away when he became aware of his ability to use Hyde for his own personal voyeurism. This is a misuse of science, Once the experiment succeeds Jekyll’s focus is not on the science but personal pleasure.

3. Jekyll’s arrogance is that he believes he has succeeded. He is unaware that it was an error in the medical compound that allowed the experiment to succeed. His scientific thinking did not create Hyde, a chemical error did.

4. Whatever Jekyll’s intent he neither understood what had happened not did he have control of his experiment. Jekyll’s arrogance and ignorance of what he had created through science takes control away from him and becomes a real danger to humanity. Jekyll had intended to improve the human condition but he requires to kill Hyde because his scientific experiment now ends up becoming a danger to humanity.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (234)
41.94%
The paper was reasonable (237)
42.47%
Not feeling great about that exam... (51)
9.14%
It was TERRIBLE (36)
6.45%

Watched Threads