attempt1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I finished a psychology bachelor's degree last year and realized I'm more interested in pursuing a data analyst career (and maybe data science) compared to doing something psychology related.

I was considering either doing a one year masters data science program, or doing a second undergraduate degree majoring in statistics, what are your thoughts? What's the best way to become a data analyst with a psychology degree in your opinion?

(I live in New Zealand, hopefully this is the right place to post this in)

Thank you
hachin1
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by attempt1)
Hi, I finished a psychology bachelor's degree last year and realized I'm more interested in pursuing a data analyst career (and maybe data science) compared to doing something psychology related.

I was considering either doing a one year masters data science program, or doing a second undergraduate degree majoring in statistics, what are your thoughts? What's the best way to become a data analyst with a psychology degree in your opinion?

(I live in New Zealand, hopefully this is the right place to post this in)

Thank you
You can apply an entry DA position straightaway given that you already know statistics from your degree. Hands-on experience is always more important than studying the theory. Are you familiar with bi tools such as tableau or powerbi? It is way better to spend some time brush up the skills. You definitely need to know one or two visualization tools to get a job. Elementary SQL is another skill that you will need to know. Other than that you don't need much for an entry DA position.
attempt1
Rep:
?
(Original post by hachin1)
You can apply an entry DA position straightaway given that you already know statistics from your degree. Hands-on experience is always more important than studying the theory. Are you familiar with bi tools such as tableau or powerbi? It is way better to spend some time brush up the skills. You definitely need to know one or two visualization tools to get a job. Elementary SQL is another skill that you will need to know. Other than that you don't need much for an entry DA position.
Hello, I've pretty much got no experience using any data analyst tools (although i have a couple weeks experience using R. I was thinking I might need to do another degree (masters or another undegrad) in order to get a data analyst job in the first place, but I'm not really sure. Thank you so much for your advice.
attempt1
Rep:
?
What sort of data science/analyst experience do you have? (If you don't mind me asking)
hachin1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello, I've pretty much got no experience using any data analyst tools (although i have a couple weeks experience using R. I was thinking I might need to do another degree (masters or another undegrad) in order to get a data analyst job in the first place, but I'm not really sure. Thank you so much for your advice.
I don't think it worth the time, money and effort to pursue a master degree just to get an entry DA job. Frankly, I don't know whether does a master can increase the chance to get a DA job. Try to see whether there is any data analysis bootcamp you can enroll. I don't know about New Zealand but if you can find one with good industrial connection then it is a lot better than a master degree if your target is to get a DA entry position.

Or you could try to do some courses in Udemy first. I would recommend try to pickup a visualization tool such as PowerBI or Tableau. They are the most popular BI tools in the market right now. If you use Tableau Public it is basically free and PowerBI is also free if you just use it for learning. For SQL and Python, you can try Datacamp or Dataquest. I used both but personally I prefer Dataquest as it is project base. Try to acquire the skills and play around with some Kaggle data or even join a few competitions. You will learn a lot after that.
hachin1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What sort of data science/analyst experience do you have? (If you don't mind me asking)
I was in a similar position about 10 years ago when I graduated. I got my degree in Econ with 1st class at a top 50 Uni and then did my MPhil by Research also in Econ after my degree. My training was pretty theoretical and abstract and it doesn't fit well in the real-world. Upon graduation it took me a very long time to find a job. The first job I got was a data analyst position. I was really struggling as I did not know SQL and a data visualization tool. At that time the 2 industry dominant BI software were IBM Cognos and SAP BusinessObjects. I learnt them throughout my job as well as SQL. Later I was promoted to a senior analyst position and involved in more analytics projects. Now I am working as a BI manager and considering to do a part-time CS master not to acquire the skills of DA position but to have a more formal training in CS. To be a DA you don't actually need to possess a master from my point of view.
attempt1
Rep:
?
Thank you so much for your help again. How useful do you think another undergraduate in stats (or masters data science) is if I wanted to pursue a data science career (and not only for a data analyst job)?
hachin1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you so much for your help again. How useful do you think another undergraduate in stats (or masters data science) is if I wanted to pursue a data science career (and not only for a data analyst job)?
It depends. DA/BI is a good starting point for fresh graduate. I think the best option will be get a DA entry job if you can and do a part-time master in data science. Forget about doing another degree in stat, there is no point to do another degree. When you work full-time as a data professional you will spend most of your time cleaning and transforming data. Once you get enough experience and maybe a portfolio of your projects in Github you will be in a good position to get a data science job.
attempt1
Rep:
?
It depends. DA/BI is a good starting point for fresh graduate. I think the best option will be get a DA entry job if you can and do a part-time master in data science. Forget about doing another degree in stat, there is no point to do another degree. When you work full-time as a data professional you will spend most of your time cleaning and transforming data. Once you get enough experience and maybe a portfolio of your projects in Github you will be in a good position to get a data science job.
Thanks for the advice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (195)
57.86%
I don't have everything I need (142)
42.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed