Cylinder Pressure of a specific car

Watch
Ellie.Ginger
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Can someone pls tell me the cylinder pressure of a Suzuki Stingray 2015 J? I really need it for an exam!
PTMalewski
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
What bizzare exam that is, that asks such questions?
And why are you asking about a car, and not specific engine?
And why on a forum where chances of finding an answer on this subject are next to none?
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ellie.Ginger)
Can someone pls tell me the cylinder pressure of a Suzuki Stingray 2015 J? I really need it for an exam!
An exam of what? Obscure facts?
TheDE
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The cylinder pressure varies from cylinder to cylinder within an engine let alone from car to car, there’s no way of knowing the actual number for any given engine without physically testing it, HOWEVER we can make a calculation as to what we think the pressure should be but only in the naturally aspirated version of this engine.
The calculation for this is;
Compression ratio x intake air pressure = peak cylinder pressure
So;
11.2 x 14.7 = 164.64 psi.

Bear in mind 2 things with this calculation...
Firstly the piston will most likely not be drawing 14.7 psi for the entire stroke, as the cylinder draws air in from the airbox it may draw air faster than it can be replaced, causing the pressure to drop in the air box and therefore there will be less air drawn into the cylinder. This will be most apparent on cylinders which are furthest away from the intake.
Secondly if the engine is turbocharged which some of these engines are, the pressure provided by the turbocharger will be the intake air pressure (in addition), so if it provides 8 psi that is 8 psi above 14.7 psi ( 22.7 psi).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (437)
56.24%
I don't have everything I need (340)
43.76%

Watched Threads