lydiaptter15
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am really unsure about which degree to study, and was wondering if anyone that has/or knows someone that has studied History can tell me what careers they have pursued after graduating?
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lydiaptter15)
I am really unsure about which degree to study, and was wondering if anyone that has/or knows someone that has studied History can tell me what careers they have pursued after graduating?
There are loads of different jobs you can look into. Many do not require specific subjects, Thinks like police, journalism, librarianship, teaching, management and a whole host of other roles. Try googling jobs with history degrees.
Elise_adventures
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Law is a big one. Also anything banking wise. Many of these do not require any specific degree.
JUG UK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you look at https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-...with-my-degree you can check about History. this is the official national university student careers website run by the government. many companies are looking for graduates with a 2:1 grade rather than specific subjects for their graduate training scheme. History is a golden subject historically, because the skills it teaches you can be applied to many different careers
userhep
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I know from my considerations of studying History I've found things like Heritage/Museum work is an option. There's also the option to follow up the degree with a PGCE and become a history teacher.

Also, like others have said, law is an option. I know one of my old History teachers intended to go into law after her degree but ended up in teaching instead.

At the end of the day, it's all about the transferable skills you gain from a degree. Most graduate schemes, as far as I'm aware, (like journalism ones or the one with the Civil Service) will take on people from any degree background. Unless you pick a significantly more niche degree that's directly related to one specific career (e.g. nursing or something), I think most degrees (esp. humanities ones) can get you anywhere.
Uni of Hull Students
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi lydiaptter15

As swanseajack1 , Elise_adventures , JUG UK and userhep have stated, there are numerous possible career choices which you can have after studying history at undergraduate degree level.

One of my fellow Undergrad History students stayed on to complete further study, completing a Masters in Advertising and Marketing.
Several of my cohort stayed on to complete a PGCE
Some studied a Law conversion course.
A couple have entered the civil service.
One of my friends went on to study journalism

Other future prospects include:
Researcher
Historian
Archaeologist
Museum or gallery conservator
Auctioneer
Heritage management
Archivist

and many others besides.

History gives you the skills that employers value. By explaining, supporting and defending your ideas, you’ll become a better communicator.

It can allow you to develop your digital literacy through diverse teaching and learning methods, helping you build skills that you can draw on throughout your career.

I personally decided to continue with further study, and I'm currently a PhD Candidate studying Early Modern Gender History with some archaeology. I have gained opportunities to be involved in writing book chapters for example.

Hope this helps,

Emily
University of Hull Student Representative
lydiaptter15
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Uni of Hull Students)
Hi lydiaptter15

As swanseajack1 , Elise_adventures , JUG UK and userhep have stated, there are numerous possible career choices which you can have after studying history at undergraduate degree level.

One of my fellow Undergrad History students stayed on to complete further study, completing a Masters in Advertising and Marketing.
Several of my cohort stayed on to complete a PGCE
Some studied a Law conversion course.
A couple have entered the civil service.
One of my friends went on to study journalism

Other future prospects include:
Researcher
Historian
Archaeologist
Museum or gallery conservator
Auctioneer
Heritage management
Archivist

and many others besides.

History gives you the skills that employers value. By explaining, supporting and defending your ideas, you’ll become a better communicator.

It can allow you to develop your digital literacy through diverse teaching and learning methods, helping you build skills that you can draw on throughout your career.

I personally decided to continue with further study, and I'm currently a PhD Candidate studying Early Modern Gender History with some archaeology. I have gained opportunities to be involved in writing book chapters for example.

Hope this helps,

Emily
University of Hull Student Representative
thank you so much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (431)
56.64%
I don't have everything I need (330)
43.36%

Watched Threads