Applying for internships/grad schemes while studies interrupted

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I'm currently in my 4th year of an integrated masters studying a Computer Science related degree in London.

For the past few months I've been working to build a startup that's launching in January, and it's gained a lot of traction recently, so the work has piled up. Because of this, I'm considering interrupting my studies for a year and focusing on the startup.

However, I was wondering what this would do regarding my job prospects. I'm looking to go into software engineering if this startup doesn't succeed, and so I wanted to know whether or not I could still apply for graduate schemes and/or internships while it's interrupted.

If I can, would I need to edit my CV to reflect this change? I'll have the option of leaving the course and graduating with a BSc in September next year, but also going back to study in December and graduate with an MEng in 2022. Would it be the case that if I'm applying for a graduate scheme, I list the former, and I list the latter for an internship?

Thanks!
University of Strathclyde
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So I'm currently in my 4th year of an integrated masters studying a Computer Science related degree in London.

For the past few months I've been working to build a startup that's launching in January, and it's gained a lot of traction recently, so the work has piled up. Because of this, I'm considering interrupting my studies for a year and focusing on the startup.

However, I was wondering what this would do regarding my job prospects. I'm looking to go into software engineering if this startup doesn't succeed, and so I wanted to know whether or not I could still apply for graduate schemes and/or internships while it's interrupted.

If I can, would I need to edit my CV to reflect this change? I'll have the option of leaving the course and graduating with a BSc in September next year, but also going back to study in December and graduate with an MEng in 2022. Would it be the case that if I'm applying for a graduate scheme, I list the former, and I list the latter for an internship?

Thanks!
Hey there! It sounds like if you opt to take a year out of your studies then at least you have a solid reasoning for doing so. When it comes down to it, if a future employer asks you why you took a year out- you can talk about your startup, the progress you made with it during your year out and what you learned from the process. In a way, taking the time could also help your studies- as you'll be coming back in with a fresh head and likely some good learning experiences you can apply to your coursework. In my opinion- as long as you can comfortably discuss your year out with a future employer (i.e. talk about it in a productive way, explain why you did it and what you learned etc) it shouldn't hinder your employment prospects.

On the other hand, it'll take you longer to complete your degree and when you pick your studies back up again you may not be as motivated to be back in a classroom when you've already ventured out in to the world of work. I think you should weigh up the pros and cons and speak to a Careers Advisor in your uni to talk about your options and see what support is available for you.

For your CV- yes you should note this somewhere. Under the employment section you would include details of your startup and under education, your university details. Just drop a line in somewhere that you opted out for a year to develop your start up, and if there are enough details about this elsewhere on your CV then a prospective employer can link the two. When you write your degree details- just disclose the highest level you've achieved.

My best advice for now is to speak to your university's support team to talk about your options. Find out if the option is there, and if it is then it's up to you to weigh up your pros and cons.

Best of luck!
- Caitlin
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by University of Strathclyde)
Hey there! It sounds like if you opt to take a year out of your studies then at least you have a solid reasoning for doing so. When it comes down to it, if a future employer asks you why you took a year out- you can talk about your startup, the progress you made with it during your year out and what you learned from the process. In a way, taking the time could also help your studies- as you'll be coming back in with a fresh head and likely some good learning experiences you can apply to your coursework. In my opinion- as long as you can comfortably discuss your year out with a future employer (i.e. talk about it in a productive way, explain why you did it and what you learned etc) it shouldn't hinder your employment prospects.

On the other hand, it'll take you longer to complete your degree and when you pick your studies back up again you may not be as motivated to be back in a classroom when you've already ventured out in to the world of work. I think you should weigh up the pros and cons and speak to a Careers Advisor in your uni to talk about your options and see what support is available for you.

For your CV- yes you should note this somewhere. Under the employment section you would include details of your startup and under education, your university details. Just drop a line in somewhere that you opted out for a year to develop your start up, and if there are enough details about this elsewhere on your CV then a prospective employer can link the two. When you write your degree details- just disclose the highest level you've achieved.

My best advice for now is to speak to your university's support team to talk about your options. Find out if the option is there, and if it is then it's up to you to weigh up your pros and cons.

Best of luck!
- Caitlin
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Thank you for your response, I really appreciate it!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (398)
56.29%
I don't have everything I need (309)
43.71%

Watched Threads