The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I did History A-Level and I always found it helpful to draft a plan at the beginning of an exam for my essay. My teacher always encouraged myself and the rest of the class to argue for and against the question, as this was the best way to explore the possible different answers. Best thing to do is to revise your facts and then attempt the essay questions by drafting your plan with for and against points.
My AS teacher has told us to answer the question in the first sentence (or at least in the introduction) coz then the examiner knows that you know what you're doing and that you've planned it. He also said that by taking 5mins to plan it, you'll be cutting out maybe one paragraph's writing time but the whole structure will be much better and at A level this is really important (difference between an A and a C). Also been told to start each paragraph with a judgment (never narrative) and then back it up. Lots of other stuff I can't think of right now... oh, dividing themes into groups if appropriate, e.g. we had an essay on "What was the most important obstacle to the unification of Italy prior to 1848?" and were told to split up the factors into political, economic, cultural etc; internal/external or whatever suits, and also to prioritise them.
Reply 3
dinkymints
My AS teacher has told us to answer the question in the first sentence (or at least in the introduction) coz then the examiner knows that you know what you're doing and that you've planned it. He also said that by taking 5mins to plan it, you'll be cutting out maybe one paragraph's writing time but the whole structure will be much better and at A level this is really important (difference between an A and a C). Also been told to start each paragraph with a judgment (never narrative) and then back it up. Lots of other stuff I can't think of right now... oh, dividing themes into groups if appropriate, e.g. we had an essay on "What was the most important obstacle to the unification of Italy prior to 1848?" and were told to split up the factors into political, economic, cultural etc; internal/external or whatever suits, and also to prioritise them.

Sound advice your teacher has given you there. History, particularly at A-Level, is all about the political, economic, and cultural factors that affect the subject you are studying, so talking about those in an essay can't be a bad thing.

I don't, however, think it's wise to answer the question in the first sentence. You should make the main point of your paragraph in the first sentence and then use the rest of your paragraph to develop and backup that point. Perhaps this is what your teacher meant? After all, I doubt you could answer an A-Level exam question in one sentence. :cool:
My history teacher told us that the examiner's catch phrase is "Fail to plan, plan to fail" - (how corny is that?) But having said that i plan all my essays, across subjects, even if its a litte scribble taking like two mins, just helps get my brain in gear.

I have to do a lot of turning point qus for my course and the structure for that is:
Before event, event, short term after, long term after, sig change

Moo
_mad_moo_
My history teacher told us that the examiner's catch phrase is "Fail to plan, plan to fail" - (how corny is that?)

We did a study skills day at the start of the year and the catch phrase was 'fail to prepare, prepare to fail.' :rolleyes:
Reply 6
That factors thing is definitely really useful for A-Level, it's what we've all been taught too. But always answer the question crucially!

I'm not sure, for example, if you were given a change and continuity question that such an approach is advisable.

Factors belong to the "why" type of questions.
But for "How far" and "To what extent", you're expected to argue one way in the first part of the answer and then the other way in the 2nd part, then come up with your own conclusion.
Change and continuity: you generally have to do it chronologically, or factorise changes/continuity in one period: it's picking out what has stayed the same/but changed over time, and emphasising what you feel is the most important, and giving a developmental, well argued account.

Basically, depends what kind of history question you're answering!

Latest

Trending

Trending