zarahh09
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Can someone describe me the process of protein synthesis, please? It just doesn't go into my head.

i) Understand the process of protein synthesis (transcription), including the role of RNA polymerase, translation, messenger RNA, transfer RNA, ribosomes and the role of start and stop codons.
Last edited by zarahh09; 1 month ago
Hellllpppp
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Transcription is the process of making messenger RNA from a DNA (in the nucleus)
1) DNA helicase breaks the hydrogen bonds between the DNA helix
2) RNA nucleotides base pair (by forming temporary hydrogen bonds) with the exposed DNA template strand
3) RNA polymerase forms phosphodiester bonds between adjacent RNA nucleotides
4) RNA polymerase moves along the DNA rewinding the DNA as it moves along
-In eukaryotes, transcription produces pre-mRNA; which has to be spliced (removal of non coding regions called introns) to form mRNA.

Translation is the process of making proteins from mRNA (in the cytoplasm).
1) mRNA attaches to a ribosome on the rough endoplasmic reticulum. The ribosome moves along the mRNA to the start codon then starts reading the coding codons.
2) a tRNA molecule with the anticodon corresponding to the codon on the mRNA brings an amino acid.
3) tRNA continues to bring corresponding amino acids and the ribosome forms peptide bonds between adjacent amino acids until the ribosome reaches and reads the stop codon
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Hellllpppp)
Transcription is the process of making messenger RNA from a DNA (in the nucleus)
2) RNA nucleotides base pair (by forming temporary hydrogen bonds) with the exposed DNA template strand
-In eukaryotes, transcription produces pre-mRNA; which has to be spliced (removal of non coding regions called introns) to form mRNA.

1) mRNA attaches to a ribosome on the rough endoplasmic reticulum. The ribosome moves along the mRNA to the start codon then starts reading the coding codons.
2) a tRNA molecule with the anticodon corresponding to the codon on the mRNA brings an amino acid.
3) tRNA continues to bring corresponding amino acids and the ribosome forms peptide bonds between adjacent amino acids until the ribosome reaches and reads the stop codon
Short, but precise; easy explanation, but very detailed. That is so good that no one can best it!
zarahh09
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
T

(Original post by Hellllpppp)

Thank you so so much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (76)
17.97%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (122)
28.84%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (160)
37.83%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (52)
12.29%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (13)
3.07%

Watched Threads