The Student Room Group

Post Graduate Referees

I am currently in the throws of applying for a post-grad, and am finding some trouble in thinking of appropriate referees.
In particular, there is someone in the faculty of my undergrad who would be a brilliant secondary referee, however I was unable to take her third year module, and therefore don't have a relationship particularly. I only took some of her classes during first and second year as parts of survey modules, so she doesnt have an awful lot of teaching experience with me. However her field of study coalign so impressively with mine, and with the post-grad course.
Would she be able to provide me with a good academic reference? I'm going to ask but I'm struggling to find a way to draft an email asking for one when she has almost no experience in teaching me.
Otherwise I'd really struggle to provide another reference other than my personal advisor who I dont think would be particularly useful, as they again only taught me in first year, and in a completely different sector of research.
I suppose there's no harm in asking, but she'd be such a good referee, I'd really like some advice in asking for a reference.
Also, a bit more information about what makes a good referee: would it be useful to just include a referee from a teacher in a class I excelled in generally, to prove my academic ability? Or are course specific references really essential?
Reply 1
Original post by rhayes98
I only took some of her classes during first and second year as parts of survey modules, so she doesnt have an awful lot of teaching experience with me. However her field of study coalign so impressively with mine, and with the post-grad course. Would she be able to provide me with a good academic reference? I'm going to ask but I'm struggling to find a way to draft an email asking for one when she has almost no experience in teaching me.

Yes, it is fine. Something like this, change or adapt where necessary:

Dear Person Name

You may recollect that you taught me XYZ in year A and year b in xxx.

I really enjoyed your units and it inspired me to applying for a postgraduate course which covers those topics in more detail.

I was wondering if it was possible that you could provide me with a reference as I feel your reference would really make the difference in my application.

Thank you for your time.

Regards,

Z

Otherwise I'd really struggle to provide another reference other than my personal advisor who I dont think would be particularly useful, as they again only taught me in first year, and in a completely different sector of research.

Doesn't matter. It is about transferrable skills and potential rather than just outright relevant research although the latter helps of course. You can use this person as a fall-back option.

Also, a bit more information about what makes a good referee: would it be useful to just include a referee from a teacher in a class I excelled in generally, to prove my academic ability?

Perhaps. The ideal reference would be from someone who knows you well, likes you, has sufficient time to write a good reference and has the capability to actually write a good reference.

Or are course specific references really essential?

Helpful but not necessary.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending