A level Maths Chapter 2 Graphs Questions

Watch
bee115
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi! I was wondering if people would be able to help me me with these graph questions? I’ve given them a go but I know the answers are wrong since they look very off. For 2)b) I was hoping someone could tell me the difference between y=f(|x|) and y=|f(x)| as I don’t know so I haven’t drawn that graph! Thanks so much, I’ll attach pictures of the questions below
bee115
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by bee115)
Hi! I was wondering if people would be able to help me me with these graph questions? I’ve given them a go but I know the answers are wrong since they look very off. For 2)b) I was hoping someone could tell me the difference between y=f(|x|) and y=|f(x)| as I don’t know so I haven’t drawn that graph! Thanks so much, I’ll attach pictures of the questions below
Name:  31989E24-1E31-42AE-9E56-24885612D695.jpeg
Views: 6
Size:  105.0 KBName:  C1794B29-6133-4A7E-8DA5-27AC4B5E369B.jpeg
Views: 6
Size:  104.3 KB
old_engineer
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
For 1(b), for the first intersection, it looks as though you've got as far as (9/4)x - 3 = 0 (which I agree with), but then the solution for x looks wrong. A couple of tips: (i) if you leave your working in exact form, it will be easier for any marker to see what you have done, and (ii) you can always plug your value for x into BOTH the line equations to see if you get matching values of y.
For the second intersection in 1(b) I can't see quite what you've done, but you should be looking to equate -(2x + 3) - 4 with -(1/4)x + 2.
Last edited by old_engineer; 1 month ago
*****deadness
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by bee115)
You should know that the modulus function gives the positive magnitude of the input, so for y=|f(x)|, all the negative parts are reflected in the x axis as you’ve drawn. For y=f(|x|), you can imagine that the positive x values are unaffected while the negative x values are turned positive, so it’s a reflection in the y axis
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (313)
56.09%
I don't have everything I need (245)
43.91%

Watched Threads