The Student Room Group

Why do UK universities have no dining hauls

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FrostedLion
I’ve obviously tried but the food doesn’t taste anywhere near as good as it would if actual chefs or even catering staff made food. I’ve seen many day in the life blogs from students in the US and just from being on a meal plan they get access to a great choice of breakfast, lunch , dinner and even desert just for being on a meal plan. I just wish they would bring those kind of options to UK universities because it’s just a hassle to make food by yourself and obviously doesn’t taste as good.

I did an exchange and their was a meal plan
It was quite nice not having to cook but you didn’t get a kitchen in accommodation so you ate there or got take out so you couldn’t make your own thing
sounds like you can't cook or spell. why are you even at university
My uni has like a dozen dining areas on campus.
The meal plans are mostly for freshers but their is still access to everyone in lots of them if you pay per meal.

(im not sure if they are all open with covid though).
Reply 23
Original post by mnot
My uni has like a dozen dining areas on campus.
The meal plans are mostly for freshers but their is still access to everyone in lots of them if you pay per meal.

(im not sure if they are all open with covid though).

aye, our hall is only open for lunch if you're living off main site, we can't go for an evening meal because COVID restrictions :frown:
Original post by gjd800
aye, our hall is only open for lunch if you're living off main site, we can't go for an evening meal because COVID restrictions :frown:

A sign of the times unfortunately, hopefully if Boris's modelling is accurate they'll be back to normal for the summer semester.
Reply 25
Original post by mnot
A sign of the times unfortunately, hopefully if Boris's modelling is accurate they'll be back to normal for the summer semester.

i just want to do one formal before i leave, that's all i'm asking haha
Original post by gjd800
i just want to do one formal before i leave, that's all i'm asking haha

Its certainly would be ruthless not to have one, its part of the Oxford experience (from what i hear).
At least the pubs in Oxford are still open atm with a substantial meal.
i get your point about having catered would be convenient bc of students being busy but i think thats just life. Like when your an adult you have a job and you still have to go and get food i think thats why it is the way it is.
Reply 28
Original post by mnot
Its certainly would be ruthless not to have one, its part of the Oxford experience (from what i hear).
At least the pubs in Oxford are still open atm with a substantial meal.

aye, but not my local (typical)

still, it's not forever etc etc etc
Original post by FrostedLion
I’ve been wondering this for a while now as to why most, if not all UK universities have very little dining. Almost all universities in America have at least 3 dining hauls for all their universities, where as in the UK universities have hardly any, and the food is nowhere near the quality you would get in the US.
It’s hard for me especially because I’ve had to resort to spending money on takeouts quite frequently (spent £250 last month). I have visited the main dining area of my university and it’s very, very small in comparison to US universities and the food is quite unhealthy as well.

Because most halls are self catered however if you go to Oxbridge or go to catered halls you'll find there are more.

Quick Reply