Wrong uni course??

Watch this thread
MM2102
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So I know that everyone who started uni this year is struggling due to it being online. However, everyone that I know who started uni this year are doing blended learning but my uni is doing absolutely nothing on campus for my course. They're doing nothing to help us socially. I'm doing a life science degree which isn't one specific degree until third year so I have to do general biology and chemistry this year.
I'M STRUGGLING SO MUCH!!!! I HATE chemistry and most of the bio lecturers are quite bad, bad powerpoints, poor explanations etc. The course content is so much and I'm falling behind do to all lectures being prerecorded. I have no motivation to study and December exams are in a couple of weeks. I have zero friends because I haven't been on campus once (the labs are online and they're pathetic). I am really not enjoying my course or uni life in general.

My elective is Spanish, I love learning Spanish and i prefer this to my main degree. I'm worried I won't be able to take it next year due to timetable clashes then I'll have even LESS motivation to stay at this uni. I also don't want to disappoint people as I do go to a prestigious uni and I will have to tell my old school I've dropped out so they can write me a new reference. I'm seriously considering dropping out and applying for a Spanish degree at a different university.

I just need advice, I have no one to talk to and it feels so lonely
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
Does the university you're at offer Spanish? Is it possible to switch to a Spanish course?
MM2102
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
(Original post by Anonymous)
Does the university you're at offer Spanish? Is it possible to switch to a Spanish course?
They do but I don’t think they allow you to switch from a life science to a language. I’m not sure how internal transfers work anyway, obviously I’d need to start from first year again. We only get 5 free years of education in Scotland so I’d definitely need to drop out this year if I was going to but language courses are 5 years at my uni, so id be paying for one year.
I can’t help but wonder if I’d be enjoying it more if I was actually on campus and felt apart of the university community instead of alone and isolated at home.
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Have you got an academic tutor you could speak to? They might also be able to advise you on transfer options, and also how "behind" you are and how you could catch up.
Are there uni societies or halls events you could try and get involved in? Switching to Spanish won't necessarily fix the loneliness problem and that's quite serious..
:goodluck:
MM2102
Rep:
(Original post by becausethenight)
Have you got an academic tutor you could speak to? They might also be able to advise you on transfer options, and also how "behind" you are and how you could catch up.
Are there uni societies or halls events you could try and get involved in? Switching to Spanish won't necessarily fix the loneliness problem and that's quite serious..
:goodluck:
Yeah I do have an advisor, I might email him if I’m still not enjoying the course next semester. I did join the Spanish society but literally everyone in it is from Spain so I felt too awkward to go back🤣 I’m thinking about just waiting until second year and seeing how things go though, I’m only lonely because I’ve had zero chances to meet anyone! If I was on campus I’m sure I would feel better about things
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MM2102)
Yeah I do have an advisor, I might email him if I’m still not enjoying the course next semester. I did join the Spanish society but literally everyone in it is from Spain so I felt too awkward to go back🤣 I’m thinking about just waiting until second year and seeing how things go though, I’m only lonely because I’ve had zero chances to meet anyone! If I was on campus I’m sure I would feel better about things
It might be worth getting in touch just to let him know how you're feeling so he can signpost support and how you can get academic support? I also wouldn't be surprised if you could transfer to Spanish somewhat easily as you're in Scotland (and if you're an English student you might be ahead of Scottish year 1 students with Highers), and he might be able to help you decide, since he'll have seen lots of students in simialr positions over the years I'd imagine

:lol: That's the thing with language societies! Did any others catch your eye at all, or maybe volunteering - lots of that is still going ahead online.

I get what you mean about waiting until 2nd year but it sounds like you're pretty unhappy now and some of it is linked to your choice of degree too - what will you do if things don't change?
MM2102
Rep:
(Original post by becausethenight)
It might be worth getting in touch just to let him know how you're feeling so he can signpost support and how you can get academic support? I also wouldn't be surprised if you could transfer to Spanish somewhat easily as you're in Scotland (and if you're an English student you might be ahead of Scottish year 1 students with Highers), and he might be able to help you decide, since he'll have seen lots of students in simialr positions over the years I'd imagine

:lol: That's the thing with language societies! Did any others catch your eye at all, or maybe volunteering - lots of that is still going ahead online.

I get what you mean about waiting until 2nd year but it sounds like you're pretty unhappy now and some of it is linked to your choice of degree too - what will you do if things don't change?
I know for sure I wouldn’t be able to transfer to Spanish this year because my uni has a december exam diet which I would miss. I enjoy some aspects of my course because the lecturers are good for like one particular area (immunology). Tbh, I don’t know if I would really want to transfer to the Spanish degree at my uni when another local uni does a more interesting course, combining Spanish and phonetics.
I think I’ll hold out until year two, when the course becomes more specific then I can really see if I like it or if I still don’t, I’d love to go into the field of forensics or something so🤷*♀️ There was a forensic investigation course at the third uni local to me, I did apply but I just didn’t like the uni so I don’t regret that. Tbh, Spanish is my passion yes, I want to become fluent so bad, I want to live in Spain. I’d need to really think long and hard before changing degree as I can still enjoy Spanish, I can study abroad in Spain for my 3rd year then in the future I will love to Spain.
In regards to societies, I’m also in a Hispanic one (we were advised to join by our Spanish tutor) but I haven’t made it to more than 1 meeting. I suppose I should try harder to get involved in the societies, I’d love to stay in the Spanish one but I just feel too out of place when they’re all native Spaniards!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (25)
18.38%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (15)
11.03%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (10)
7.35%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (24)
17.65%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (35)
25.74%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (27)
19.85%

Watched Threads