MK4 Golf 1.4 Pros & Cons? Watch

This discussion is closed.
m73
Badges: 1
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
hey, im 19 and want to buy a Mk 4 Golf 1.4

Anybody know the real pros n cons of this car?

thanks
JayEm
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The engine's are only 75bhp in a pretty heavy car so it'll be quite slow. Don't buy one built between 1999 and 2001, due to dodgy gearboxes. If you are buying one from this period, make sure you get someone to look under the car for gearbox leaks.

The 1.4 E doesn't come with electric windows, central locking or alarm. If you get the 1.4 S, make sure you get it delocked as they are very easy to break into using just a screwdriver. Apart from that, they're solidly built cars, excellent reliability, cheap on petrol, insurance and tax too.
All at once
Report 10 years ago
Decent cars, i've got an 03. I think it's a bit on the slow side, but all my friends reckon it's actually pretty quick.
leeb12345
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Volkswagen build quality and probably fairly safe but probably pretty sluggish. I'd try and opt for at least the 1.6 model or one of the tdi's if insurance isnt too bad.
JayEm
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by leeb12345)
Volkswagen build quality and probably fairly safe but probably pretty sluggish. I'd try and opt for at least the 1.6 model or one of the tdi's if insurance isnt too bad.
Fuel consumption on the 1.6s is shockingly bad, plus there's the higher road tax band but yeah, the TDIs are a good choice.
m73
Thing is, i'm 19 with 1 years no claims...

insurance on a tdi would be a killer
m73
....not to mention the price of fuel!
insanetothebrain
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by m73)
Thing is, i'm 19 with 1 years no claims...

insurance on a tdi would be a killer
Do what everyone else does, front.
Nick.J
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've got a '99 Mk4 1.4e. I'll attest to it being a slow car, but all the passengers in it seem to think it's fast Never had any gearbox problems on it (touches wooden table.)

Pros: cheap on insurance, I'm paying a bit over a grand at 18 years old, fully comp, not even a years NCB. Decent on fuel consumption (unless you do 60 in 3rd obviously.) Solidly built cars.

Cons: Feels slow, have to plan your overtaking manouvres about 5 mins advance, don't know if it's limited to my car, but the back end likes going wide on roundabouts frequently. Water pumps are known to be somewhat dodgy on the MkIVs.
Madlib
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you want a Golf get a VR6 not a crappy 1.4!!:yep: :yep: :yep:
Minardi
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The TDI's won't hit you that hard for insurance. Get a quote and check. A 1.4 Golf? Don't go trying to out accelerate any ice drifts..
Jlt93
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
1.6 aint much faster dude i thought it would be but still bit on the sluggish side
Nuffles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Another vote for the TDI. Get a quote, you'd probably be surprised. Only 90hp but twice as much torque as the 1.4/1.6 petrols. Also really good on fuel. My Passat from the same era (with essentially the same engine, just tweaked up to 130hp/230lb-ft) and is happily chugging on with 170,000 miles and still returns 40-50mpg. My old mk3 Golf TDI hit 60mpg once on a long trip with the cruise control set at ~65mph. I also had a mk3 Golf with the 1.4 in it (60hp) and it was slooooow - not to mention that it struggled to get 30mpg on the motorway, significantly less than that around town. The TDI in the same car did almost double the economy and was more powerful.
TobyIT
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
What insurance company do you use?
nevershear
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by TobyIT)
Can you make a new thread instead of resurrecting a 10 year old discussion? I don't know why people don't check before posting it took me 10 seconds to find out the OP has not been on TSR since 2011.
RoyalSheepy
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by TobyIT)
Please check thread dates before posting in future. Cheers.

Thread closed.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (1)
1.39%
No (71)
98.61%

Watched Threads