Aana12
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey guys,

Im currently working toward getting a 2.1 in my bioscience degree which is the requirement for PGCE biology at universities. Im having a dilemma on where to apply because theres only 3 options for this application unlike for an undergraduate application where there is 5 options. Im struggling to choose 3 from KCL, UCL, St Marys, Goldsmith and London Met. They are all good unis but im scared that employers will be looking for a russell group uni that why im leaning towards KCL and UCL. however i have heard that london met and st marys help build the best teachers. i dont know what to do...does anyone have any advice?

i was also considering uni of reading but id have to commute further which isnt necessarily preferred but if i have to i will obvs
Last edited by Aana12; 1 month ago
obstruct
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Aana12)
Hey guys,

Im currently working toward getting a 2.1 in my bioscience degree which is the requirement for PGCE biology at universities. Im having a dilemma on where to apply because theres only 3 options for this application unlike for an undergraduate application where there is 5 options. Im struggling to choose 3 from KCL, UCL, St Marys, Goldsmith and London Met. They are all good unis but im scared that employers will be looking for a russell group uni that why im leaning towards KCL and UCL. however i have heard that london met and st marys help build the best teachers. i dont know what to do...does anyone have any advice?

i was also considering uni of reading but id have to commute further which isnt necessarily preferred but if i have to i will obvs
hello

is there a particular reason why you're wanting to do a biology PGCE and not just a PGCE in secondary?
your options will probably open wider in terms of unis if you did a secondary pgce

as for the unis, i wouldn't worry too much. yeah prospective employers will see who/ where you trained for your teaching qualification but it will definitely not be a deciding factor. during a pgce you're mostly on placement anyway and all schools need is to tick the qualified teacher box!

good luck with whatever you decide x
Jack A Pacheco
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey guys,

Hi,

University rankings do have some inherent value for some employers, but it’s a traditional archaic factor that is slowly disappearing. It’s no longer the be all end all decider that it used to be, with some companies even going as far as introducing ‘education-blind’ applications, where your school and university are hidden, to prevent any unconscious bias from creeping into their decision making process, looking moreso into your skills and practical experiences through work placements or societies or different sort of beneficial activities. It also depends a lot on what industry you find yourself in. Something less specific like a PGCE, employers would most likely deem important many other factors more than which university you attended.

I understand you being worried about that, but the job market and university status quo is constantly changing and evolving into a better place, and as someone who recently graduated from London Met with first class honors after initially going through clearing, I personally know of and have heard of some pretty good success stories. And they really do try their best to build you up and help you any chance they can, always encouraging that hands on practical experience that’ll help you out further down the road. London Met also has a bunch of partnerships with London-based schools so that’s always a big plus. They’re there for your professional progress first and foremost. This also includes some great info: https://www.londonmet.ac.uk/courses/...iology---pgce/

If you have any other questions, i’d be glad to help!
f.ga010301
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey guys,

Hi, i am a student at london met!

Trainees on the PGCE Secondary courses attain high results, with 95% achieving an Ofsted good or outstanding grade by the end of the course. the sessions are Teaching Regulation Agency (TRA)-accredited academic sessions too which is definitely something to look out for. the entry requirements are a UK degree, preferably grade 2.2 or equivalent, in Biology or relevant degrees including geology, metallurgy, chemical engineering, and forensic science, literacy and numeracy tests — these are university-based tests, which you will be asked to undertake at your interview
a valid Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) certificate and Confirmation of Fitness to Teach (eg a London Metropolitan University Health Check) - you will be advised to apply for these after an offer is made, GCSE English and Mathematics grade C (grade 4 from 2017) or above (or equivalent)

London met has a great community feel and everyone is so friendly which is exactly what you need when studying for a degree. lecturers are really hands-on and constantly checking up with you to see your progress and always willing to help. if you want to find out more info about the course e.g. the module breakdowns etc. I definitely suggest visiting the course webpage on the London Met website.

i hope this helps and good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (195)
58.38%
I don't have everything I need (139)
41.62%

Watched Threads