amell1234
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Does anyone know how to do this question? Sorry i don't really understand capacitors with AC voltage supply/

https://isaacphysics.org/questions/c...d-5d7cabf77076
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by amell1234)
Does anyone know how to do this question? Sorry i don't really understand capacitors with AC voltage supply/

Half looked at it. As the question is (partially about) capacitors and ac voltage, what do you understand and what is causing problems in the question?
amell1234
Rep:
?
(Original post by mqb2766)
Half looked at it. As the question is (partially about) capacitors and ac voltage, what do you understand and what is causing problems in the question?
Hi sorry I'm kinda confused by all of it. I tried using Q=CV which gives Q=CVmaxsin(wt) but i was then unsure of what to do next as I tried subbing in wt =2pi but that just gives the maximum charge in the capacitor. I am also unsure of how the resistor affects it.
Name:  Screenshot 2020-11-25 at 11.19.45.png
Views: 8
Size:  34.1 KB
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Try a search - I've seen this question before.

Basically, the capacitor charges over the first quarter cycle, then barely discharges over the last 3/4, keeping an essentially constant voltage across R. You need to calculate the average current over that first, quarter cycle, to get the charge that passes, then add that from the constant voltage over the other 3/4 cycle.
amell1234
Rep:
?
(Original post by RogerOxon)
Try a search - I've seen this question before.

Basically, the capacitor charges over the first quarter cycle, then barely discharges over the last 3/4, keeping an essentially constant voltage across R. You need to calculate the average current over that first, quarter cycle, to get the charge that passes, then add that from the constant voltage over the other 3/4 cycle.
Ahh yes I've found the other thread on this question. Thank you so much that is so helpful. I have tried it but i'm still getting the wrong answer. Here is my working:
Name:  IMG_5165.jpeg
Views: 10
Size:  137.8 KB
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ahh yes I've found the other thread on this question. Thank you so much that is so helpful. I have tried it but i'm still getting the wrong answer. Here is my working:
Check your precision and rounding. I don't know what you're taught to use, but it looks slightly off to me.
amell1234
Rep:
?
Check your precision and rounding. I don't know what you're taught to use, but it looks slightly off to me.
ahh yes you're right my calculations actually give 75.56 microC which to 2sf would be 76, but that still seems to be wrong?
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
ahh yes you're right my calculations actually give 75.56 microC which to 2sf would be 76, but that still seems to be wrong?
Sorry - I don't see an error. I got slightly different values using very high precision for pi, but I don't know what precision they expect.
Eimmanuel
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Name:  current_resistor.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  38.8 KB
The graph may help you.

For the first T/4, the charges through the resistor is 13 μC.
Eimmanuel
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Sorry - I don't see an error. I got slightly different values using very high precision for pi, but I don't know what precision they expect.
In terms of μC, 2 sig fig.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (83)
18.61%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (125)
28.03%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (166)
37.22%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (58)
13%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (14)
3.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed