Rainbowpink1999x
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi is anyone able to help me answer the following questions please I'm just a little bit stuck haha;
c) Explain what happens to the energies of the 3d orbitals when the ion is approached by water molecules to form the [Ti(H2O)6]3+ complex ion
d) Explain why this results in the violet colour of the [Ti(H2O)6]3+ complex ion.
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Rainbowpink1999x)
Hi is anyone able to help me answer the following questions please I'm just a little bit stuck haha;
c) Explain what happens to the energies of the 3d orbitals when the ion is approached by water molecules to form the [Ti(H2O)6]3+ complex ion
d) Explain why this results in the violet colour of the [Ti(H2O)6]3+ complex ion.
There is electrostatic repulsion between the approaching ligands in the 4th shell and the orbitals in the 3d (inner) shell. This causes the 3d orbitals to split into two groups (eg and t2g).

The titanium(III) ion has a configuration of 3d1. Once the 3d orbitals are split, the 3d1 electron can be promoted from the lower to the upper energy orbitals, absorbing light of a visible wavelength. The remaining part of the white light spectrum (that is not absorbed) is observed (the complementary colour), in this case violet.
Rainbowpink1999x
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by charco)
There is electrostatic repulsion between the approaching ligands in the 4th shell and the orbitals in the 3d (inner) shell. This causes the 3d orbitals to split into two groups (eg and t2g).

The titanium(III) ion has a configuration of 3d1. Once the 3d orbitals are split, the 3d1 electron can be promoted from the lower to the upper energy orbitals, absorbing light of a visible wavelength. The remaining part of the white light spectrum (that is not absorbed) is observed (the complementary colour), in this case violet.
Perfect! Thank you that’s helped a lot
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (149)
62.08%
I don't have everything I need (91)
37.92%

Watched Threads