evaahiso
Badges: 8
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I’m a yr 12 student taking A-Level Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computer Science. My target university is either Oxford or Cambridge, where I would like to study Computer Science.

I am considering switching from A-Level Computer Science to Classical Civilisation.
I’m finding that A-Level Computer Science is kind of boring (apart from the programming,obv the best part), and I also miss having a Humanities subject to alternate with when I need a rest from maths, as everything is getting a bit monotonous.

My questions are the following:
1) Do I have a higher chance of getting into Oxbridge for Computer Science if I take it at A-Level?
2)Is it too late into the year to switch subjects? (I wouldn’t mind catching up during xmas)
3) Back in yr10 a professor from Cambridge told me that as long as you demonstrate that you love Computer Science you don’t need to take it at A-Level. Does taking it demonstrate that you’re passionate about it or can you still demonstrate this with your own projects?
4) Is it better to have A-Level Physics or Computer Science? (to get into CompSci at Oxbridge)
5)Is the change worth it?

I might post some other questions if I remember anything else.

Thanks in advance.
Tello
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by evaahiso)
Hi, I’m a yr 12 student taking A-Level Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computer Science. My target university is either Oxford or Cambridge, where I would like to study Computer Science.

I am considering switching from A-Level Computer Science to Classical Civilisation.
I’m finding that A-Level Computer Science is kind of boring (apart from the programming,obv the best part), and I also miss having a Humanities subject to alternate with when I need a rest from maths, as everything is getting a bit monotonous.

1) Do I have a higher chance of getting into Oxbridge for Computer Science if I take it at A-Level?
2)Is it too late into the year to switch subjects? (I wouldn’t mind catching up during xmas)
3) Back in yr10 a professor from Cambridge told me that as long as you demonstrate that you love Computer Science you don’t need to take it at A-Level. Does taking it demonstrate that you’re passionate about it or can you still demonstrate this with your own projects?
4) Is it better to have A-Level Physics or Computer Science? (to get into CompSci at Oxbridge)

Thanks in advance.
Hi, I would 100% stick to computer science, as your create a project towards your A-level that you can present to the university when applying to demonstrate your skills and I'm sure that if you do it at a level you would have a higher chance do to the limited amount of people gaining a place.

Take for example the applicant process, if there was two applicants one took computer science and got an A* and another applicant didn't take it and they both showed passion towards it- who do you think would get the place?
I believe it also way too late to change and I don't think the school would allow you.
evaahiso
Thanks for the reply! Yh, I think that’s what I’m going to do tbh, it makes more sense.
twinkletoes_
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by evaahiso)

I am considering switching from A-Level Computer Science to Classical Civilisation.uni
I’m finding that A-Level Computer Scce is kind of borin(aptrt frolem the programming,obv the best part)d I also miss having a Humanities subject to alternate with when I need a rest from maths, as everything is getting a bit monotonous.

Thanks in advance.
Hiya, I am a current applicant for King's College Cambridge. My advice would be to stick to cs only because although it can be quite boring it is essentially a very easy a level, however, if you are willing to catch up on the other subject then go for it. Please be reminded though that since it is a humanity I am guessing it is quite content heavy. Also, ask your school and advice on that you should do. Your interest in Cs can be demonstrated by outside projects, reading around the topics of interest, taking part in competitions and doing courses. If you are doing those, you will definitely not be at a disadvantage. I would also advise doing a lot of maths-related activities as well. Same way as if you did CS and the only way you were able to demonstrate a passion, was through the CS coursework, this is not a good indication of love for the subject and the other person, not doing CS a level would be chosen. Also, they would prefer if you took physics over CS, due to the maths content.
evaahiso
Thanks for the advice! Yh, I’m sticking to Computer Science cause even though some topics are boring, there are some others that are cool, and it makes more sense to take it if that’s what I want to do at uni. Good luck with your application!! Hopefully you’ll get in!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (20)
14.71%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (32)
23.53%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (60)
44.12%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (20)
14.71%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
2.94%

Watched Threads