annqbellex
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
it's so common and i'm scared of not being able to find a job with a good salary
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by annqbellex)
it's so common and i'm scared of not being able to find a job with a good salary
Have you started?
Imo it depends on grades , what you wnat from a degree in terms of career and which uni you get into.
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As above, it absolutely depends on what you want to do after. All forms of pracitioner psychology require postgraduate training, a hefty amount of work experience and dedication. It's not an easy route by any means but still perfectly possible, I think people who end up disappointed after graduating from a Psychology degree are those who don't realise how competitive it is - assistant psychologist posts generally have hundreds of applications - or how much more training they have to complete afterwards.

But there's loads of options other than becoming a pracitioner psychologist too.
Last edited by bones-mccoy; 1 month ago
Lord Asriel
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The best place to start is understanding what you value.

If you only are going to university to have a job, studying psychology is probably not the best thing to do. The basic degree is not vocational, and almost all of the jobs relevant to it require postgraduate study and/ or a competitive process to secure relevant work. While it is not quite the ticket to the dole queue it's made out to be (https://www.theguardian.com/careers/...-be-unemployed), the average salaries are low for people with only an undergraduate degree in psychology. If you want to come out of university with a guaranteed job with a career path and an above average salary, like medicine do something else.

If you are not sure what you want to do with your life, you are more motivated by learning, want a subject that mixes elements of science and humanities or you want a broad degree that can potentially take you into a lot of different areas Psychology is a decent option.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (233)
56.42%
I don't have everything I need (180)
43.58%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed