I'm clueless on how to get top marks during a pandemic- Advice please?

Watch
sakurarose17
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
In one of my module assignments, I achieved a 45/100, so the grade wasn't very high. I am doing something that interests me, but when I read material how do I critically analyse the work? I am going to the library more frequently and I'm only slightly behind, but this is a cause for concern for me as I want to try to do better. My mental health hasn't been great but I want to put the work in to get at least a 2.1.

I start with the introduction but just get lost in my work, sometimes I'm not sure if I have too many sources or not. I have to write a 3000 word essay and a 2000 word essay for the rest of the term, on different modules.
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
[ltr]Your university should have some type of academic writing service so I’d get in contact with them. They’ll be able to give you some tips and tricks on how to improve your writing.

Edit: ignore those bracket things, don’t know where they came from. [/ltr]
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sakurarose17)
In one of my module assignments, I achieved a 45/100, so the grade wasn't very high. I am doing something that interests me, but when I read material how do I critically analyse the work? I am going to the library more frequently and I'm only slightly behind, but this is a cause for concern for me as I want to try to do better. My mental health hasn't been great but I want to put the work in to get at least a 2.1.

I start with the introduction but just get lost in my work, sometimes I'm not sure if I have too many sources or not. I have to write a 3000 word essay and a 2000 word essay for the rest of the term, on different modules.
Hiya!

I find asking questions the most useful way to make sure you stay on the right track. I can relate with getting lost in work and not always focusing on the right things. This is why I really recommend emailing your tutor to ask questions about your assignments as they will want to help! You can also email your uni's study support team as they can overlook your assignments and provide critical feedback about grammar, argument structure, flow, etc before you hand it in.

I also find downloading a document and printing it off (using the free printing service at the library) and having the paper/ journal/ report in front of me so I can highlight it and visualise it. You can also download it on your laptop and add notes/ highlight documents digitally if this works better for you.

Sam- Official Student rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (76)
63.33%
I don't have everything I need (44)
36.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise