Homeless or suffering during university

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi this is my situation.

i am currently as University.
i live home with my parents and they are very emotionally abusive towards me, they were pretty much always like this but i feel it is manifesting itself more and more as i grow older, they want full control over me and want be listen to their ******** and accept whatever they say to me and i would be screamed at if i did not listen. They stopped me moving away to a far away university because of that reason, but now i cant stand it.

My University is near from where i live.

i cant stand living with my parents and i am planning to ex-communicate them from my life.

the problem i have is there i no place for me to go. I have a couple of hundred of pounds from my student loan and i highly doubt the student finance will give me more money to move away from my parents to a university which is close to my house.

i feel trapped, either i become homeless or i suffer another year or 2 with my parents.

if anyone can give me advice, that would be great
caffeinenstress
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Man that sucks. Have you tried explaining your situation to your university? Ask them for a grant? They won't just let you suffer, so ask them. Which uni do you go to?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by caffeinenstress)
Man that sucks. Have you tried explaining your situation to your university? Ask them for a grant? They won't just let you suffer, so ask them. Which uni do you go to?
i dont want to give too much information about my university, because my family members use this site and i want remain anonymous as possible.
and i dont think i would be given a grant for my situation and because of covid moving may be a problem due to lack of dorm rooms.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I understand your situation.
You need to start saving up money so that you can move out into your own accomodation and end all contact with all toxic relatives as soon as possible.
How much money from your maintainence loan installments are you able to save each week or month?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by londonmyst)
I understand your situation.
You need to start saving up money so that you can move out into your own accomodation and end all contact with all toxic relatives as soon as possible.
How much money from your maintainence loan installments are you able to save each week or month?
i can roughly save 57 pounds a week for 52 week(year). but thats nothing
Black Cat
Badges: 20
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
£200 a month is a great start! How come you didn't move to halls/uni accomodation previously?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Black Cat)
£200 a month is a great start! How come you didn't move to halls/uni accomodation previously?
The university wouldnt provide me a room because it is close to my house.
do you know any websites where i can find an apartment where are bills are included under £200
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That is a good start but it will take you a while to save up enough for a deposit and 6 month rent payments.
Check out websites like spareroom so that you can see the average monthly costs of renting a room in a houseshare for the areas where you are willing to move to.
Black Cat
Badges: 20
Report 1 month ago
The university wouldnt provide me a room because it is close to my house.
do you know any websites where i can find an apartment where are bills are included under £200
(Original post by londonmyst)
That is a good start but it will take you a while to save up enough for a deposit and 6 month rent payments.
Check out websites like spareroom so that you can see the average monthly costs of renting a room in a houseshare for the areas where you are willing to move to.
I can vouch for sparerooms great place to find housing, but your budget might be too low. However, this depends on your area. Goodluck
Anonymous #1
Thanks everyone for helping, this really cheered me up. I will take all your advice into consideration when making my next move.
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
and i dont think i would be given a grant for my situation and because of covid moving may be a problem due to lack of dorm rooms.
A friend of mine was kicked of his house by his abusive dad during 2nd year of uni and the uni provided accommodation (and I think he got some kind of grant too. but I am not 100% sure). So definitely worth asking whether your uni would be able to help.
caffeinenstress
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i dont want to give too much information about my university, because my family members use this site and i want remain anonymous as possible.
and i dont think i would be given a grant for my situation and because of covid moving may be a problem due to lack of dorm rooms
Why don't you give it a go? Nothing bad will happen if they say they can't help you, you'll just have a more realistic answer rather than just wishing you haad checked with your uni. My family isn't the greatest so I understand wanting to move out, but you'll need a lot of support, so try to get some wherever you can.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (218)
56.19%
I don't have everything I need (170)
43.81%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed