How common is it for parents to make their adult children homeless?

Watch
Wired_1800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by hijackedbrother)
I heard some shocking news that one of my friends in America just died after ingesting cyanide. He was 19 and studying in college and in his third year but no work experience. His parents found out he was gay and gave him one week to leave the house before evicting him. He had no money to rent and nowhere to go so he used the little money he had to buy poison and end his life.

Now I know that after 18, the law considers your parents not responsible but from my experience, I don't know anyone bar him who was kicked out. By that, I mean without any means of supporting yourself (i.e. degree, job, savings).
I don't think many parents kick their children out because of their homosexuality, but some parents do so because they fear the child is slacking and needs some shock.

One kicked out their daughter because she was dating a man outside their race. Don't want to give more details.
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Who would commit suicide after being kicked out. It's certainly scary. I've been there. But I just wrapped my head on.

It's a very common thing and I think it's cruel and disgusting to consider your child a stranger because of a certain number on the clock. 18, 30, 57, your child is your child forever.

Parents ALWAYS say I will always be your parent. You could move to the other side of the world, live in space, die, and I will always be your parent. Well ******* you're always my parent too!!!! But didn't think about that when you kept kicking me out in the street at 2am in European winter skint with no notice, nowhere to go. ****ing *****. Then you think you can guilt trip me about respecting you.

Dry laugh
Wired_1800
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bang Outta Order)
Who would commit suicide after being kicked out. It's certainly scary. I've been there. But I just wrapped my head on.

It's a very common thing and I think it's cruel and disgusting to consider your child a stranger because of a certain number on the clock. 18, 30, 57, your child is your child forever.

Parents ALWAYS say I will always be your parent. You could move to the other side of the world, live in space, die, and I will always be your parent. Well ******* you're always my parent too!!!! But didn't think about that when you kept kicking me out in the street at 2am in European winter skint with no notice, nowhere to go. ****ing *****. Then you think you can guilt trip me about respecting you.

Dry laugh
Sorry for your experience.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would never kick my children out no matter what they did.
A little gentle encouragement maybe 🤷🏼*♀️
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Wired_1800)
Sorry for your experience.
Aw man thanks mate
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't think many parents kick their children out because of their homosexuality, but some parents do so because they fear the child is slacking and needs some shock.

One kicked out their daughter because she was dating a man outside their race. Don't want to give more details.
My uncle threatened to send a hit on me if I didn't leave my gf who's mum is black but dad is white. Looking at her though, an old school skinhead nationalist doing life with no parole in prison for double murders in a pakistani burglary wouldnt know or care that my girls dad is white tbh. Lol.

I cut off contact with my unk and my mum his younger sister is his informant basically so I don't tell her anything either.

Like my aunts came round and harmlessly took family photos and that, next thing I know my uncle is identifying me using those photos. **** all that.
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I heard some shocking news that one of my friends in America just died after ingesting cyanide. He was 19 and studying in college and in his third year but no work experience. His parents found out he was gay and gave him one week to leave the house before evicting him. He had no money to rent and nowhere to go so he used the little money he had to buy poison and end his life rather than be on the streets.

Now I know that after 18, the law considers your parents not responsible but from my experience, I don't know anyone bar him who was kicked out. By that, I mean without any means of supporting yourself (i.e. degree, job, savings).
my brother was kicked out at 18/19

I got kicked out at 27

it happens.....
glassalice
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My granny kicked her son (my uncle) out because he was an alcoholic. It was making her life hell and the situation wasn't helping him either.

Honestly, that makes me sick. Imagine hating homosexuality so much that you would abandon your own child....

Sending you my deepest sympathies for your loss.
Wired_1800
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bang Outta Order)
My uncle threatened to send a hit on me if I didn't leave my gf who's mum is black but dad is white. Looking at her though, an old school skinhead nationalist doing life with no parole in prison for double murders in a pakistani burglary wouldnt know or care that my girls dad is white tbh. Lol.

I cut off contact with my unk and my mum his younger sister is his informant basically so I don't tell her anything either.

Like my aunts came round and harmlessly took family photos and that, next thing I know my uncle is identifying me using those photos. **** all that.
Wow, your life’s a movie. Your uncle can call a hit on you, your mother is an agent and your family is embedded with active informants. How have you survived. I hope everything has been well.

Try to live a good life and hope for the best. I hope you are still with your mixed race gf. Good luck.
Wired_1800
Rep:
?
(Original post by glassalice)
My granny kicked her son (my uncle) out because he was an alcoholic. It was making her life hell and the situation wasn't helping him either.

Honestly, that makes me sick. Imagine hating homosexuality so much that you would abandon your own child....

Sending you my deepest sympathies for your loss.
Sadly, some people still hold very strong views against homosexuality that they take it personally esp if it has to do with a close relation.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
I heard some shocking news that one of my friends in America just died after ingesting cyanide. He was 19 and studying in college and in his third year but no work experience. His parents found out he was gay and gave him one week to leave the house before evicting him. He had no money to rent and nowhere to go so he used the little money he had to buy poison and end his life rather than be on the streets.

I think there are important differenceces between the US and the UK.
As the age is 16 in the UK, then its not uncommon for a child to be asked to or choose to leave. Not every child is a welcome addition, not every parent is nice. Reasonably common on TSR.

Bet your friends story will make the news. Wait and see for the main netwroks to pick it up.
Last edited by 999tigger; 1 month ago
BlackVBeen5
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Reading this makes me grateful of my parents

I'm glad we have asian blood and asian family really take importance of family
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't think many parents kick their children out because of their homosexuality
Unfortunately homelessness is very common in LGBT youth compared to the general young population

There was a good documentary made on this subject a while back called 'Queer Britain - Out on the Streets'
Wired_1800
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Unfortunately homelessness is very common in LGBT youth compared to the general young population

There was a good documentary made on this subject a while back called 'Queer Britain - Out on the Streets'
That is deeply sad
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I've known this to occur too often.
So many friends, rape survivors and honour abuse victims have been thrown out by their parents.
It happens quite frequently amongst the most traditionalist families with an insular mindset that favour disowning as a first resort rather than violence.
Of course, some reasonable parents who have tried every thing else desperately trying to encourage thug descendants, sexual predators and recedivists to turn away from criminality- have little option but to protect their own safety and cut all ties with bad apple progeny.

But it tends to occur most frequently to the law abiding descendants of households where there is a long family tradition of disowning teenagers & new graduates in their 20s who are viewed as either a liability or shameful.
Disobedient, insufficiently insular in terms of mindset, sinners or to have harmed the family honour through so called 'shameful' opinions-social associations-careers.
Particularly in relation to those with ancestors who are very controlling, sadistic or have an insular mindset where ancient traditions must always be obeyed and enforced upon others within the family unit/extended community.
LovelyMrFox
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I dont see it an issue to tell your kid to get out of your house at a certain age, most parents dont want their kids living with them their entire lives.
Kicking them out for the sole reason of being gay is quite cruel though and unfortunately not too rare an occurrence.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (250)
57.34%
I don't have everything I need (186)
42.66%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed