Sophie27726262
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m in year 12 and I am studying biology, psychology and applied general business for a-level. I am also doing a history course at ib-standard level.

I didn’t know what I wanted to study at uni but now I realise that it is law, I’ve heard that business is considered a soft subjects and could potentially hinder my chances of getting into a top university, I would really like to study law at a top university like ucl or kings.

Will having a business studies a level severely hinder my chances of getting in to a top uni.

I’ve also heard that having two non- soft subjects can help get into a top uni, and therefore would psychology be considered a non soft subject. Can someone let me know please.

My school won’t let me switch subjects so I’m really worried that I’ve ruined up my chances now!!

Should I carry on with business or is it not worth it, it’s very unlikely at this point but i could ask my school if there’s any chance that I could swap courses.
Last edited by Sophie27726262; 1 month ago
pancakesbob7
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sophie27726262)
I’m in year 12 and I am studying biology, psychology and applied general business for a-level.

I didn’t know what I wanted to study at uni but now I realise that it is law, I’ve heard that business is considered a soft subjects and could potentially hinder my chances of getting into a top university, I would really like to study law at a top university like ucl or kings.

Will having a business studies a level severely hinder my chances of getting in to a top uni.

I’ve also heard that having two non- soft subjects can help get into a top uni, and therefore would psychology be considered a non soft subject. Can someone let me know please.

My school won’t let me switch subjects so I’m really worried that I’ve ruined up my chances now!!
Check on the uni entry requirements for each uni you want to go to. Usually available on their website
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That kind of nonsense doesn't actually exist. Your subjects are fine, what will matter is doing extremely well in the subjects you are taking to get high predicted (and then achieved) grades, and to make sure you write a good personal statement; additionally for those universities that require it, you need to do well in the LNAT.
litstudent30
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Business is not a soft subject! It's good for law, in fact, especially if you want to go into corporate law. And both Biology and Psychology are respected as scientific and thus difficult subjects. They should be perfectly fine to get into Law (although I should say that at least one humanities subject is preferred, e.g. English, History, Sociology - but Psychology should be great!)
bp170702
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’m in year 12 and I am studying biology, psychology and applied general business for a-level. I am also doing a history course at ib-standard level.

Should I carry on with business or is it not worth it, it’s very unlikely at this point but i could ask my school if there’s any chance that I could swap courses.
Unless the course you are applying for states that you need certain subjects at A-Level, it doesn’t really matter what A-Levels you take. The thing that matters most is that you get good grades!
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As above - Universities are very clear about what subject they insist on or 'prefer'. There are no 'secrets' about what subjects they want/don't want. Read the Entry Requirements carefully - if anything isnt clear, email and ask before you apply.
dylgeo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ignore everyone talking about how business is liked by unis, it’s only considered useful by your local dosshole ex-poly. Economics is a much better choice and liked by most universities.

In general, soft subjects are everything ending with studies bar Religious Studies, Travel and Tourism and the like
stephsmhb
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Business and Psychology are often seen by top uni's as "soft subjects" but honestly it doesn't matter. There is absolutely no reason why you couldn't get into uni for Law with the subjects you have now. They care more about the grades, so just work hard to get those A's and A*'s
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by pancakesbob7)
Check on the uni entry requirements for each uni you want to go to. Usually available on their website
I agree.
Unless they specify certain subjects then those should be fine. The main thing is get good grades.
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by stephsmhb)
Psychology .... often seen by top uni's as "soft subjects"
Psych is a solid science/social science subject that is accepted by all Universities as a sensible essay-based subject.
It is not regarded as a 'soft' subject by anyone actually working in academia.

Btw - if anyone remembers the phrase 'facilitating subjects', that has been firmly dumped by the Russell Group : https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...s-subjects-hit
Apparently LSE continues with this daft idea but that tells you something about LSE - and you can choose your Universities accordingly.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (41)
18.39%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (63)
28.25%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (85)
38.12%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (29)
13%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.24%

Watched Threads