How to apply through UCAS for new degree course as Second Year Undergraduate?

Watch
InnerSoul
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,

I need to know the exact steps and details that I need to follow in order to apply for a different degree as someone who is already in second year at university. What do I need to do? In what order should I do then? What should I avoid? What things to look out for?

Background Information:
I am in my second year studying Statistics. I have finally realised that I do not like this subject at all and I do not think I can complete this degree successfully at this rate. I thought I could stick it out, and that I could "learn to like" it, but I just want out, and I want to change degrees. I know that I will have to start from first year again.
I achieved decent A level grades, A*AA, with an A* in Maths.
My knowledge so far:
I know that Student Finance offer a gift year. Therefore student finance will be able to fund two years of my new degree. I will fund the remaining year myself.
Last edited by InnerSoul; 1 month ago
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by InnerSoul)
Hi,

I need to know the exact steps and details that I need to follow in order to apply for a different degree as someone who is already in second year at university. What do I need to do? In what order should I do then? What should I avoid? What things to look out for?

Background Information:
I am in my second year studying Statistics. I have finally realised that I do not like this subject at all and I do not think I can complete this degree successfully at this rate. I thought I could stick it out, and that I could "learn to like" it, but I just want out, and I want to change degrees. I know that I will have to start from first year again.
I achieved decent A level grades, A*AA, with an A* in Maths.
My knowledge so far:
I know that Student Finance offer a gift year. Therefore student finance will be able to fund two years of my new degree. I will fund the remaining year myself.
The way it works is that if you start year 1 of a different course in September, you will need to pay the first year yourself - tuition fees and maintenance - and then you can apply for a student loan to fund years 2 and 3.

Do you want to stay at the same uni or start fresh somewhere else? If you plan to start somewhere else you can apply via UCAS as an independent applicant - it's not that hard once you get started and you can do it while still on your current course if you want. However there is some time pressure as you should aim to apply by January 15th if possible to meet the UCAS deadline for your application getting equal consideration with people who applied earlier.

If you plan to stay at your current uni it may be easier to simply transfer to year 1 of a different course but your uni Student services should be able to advise you on that. I would also talk to your personal tutor about it by sending them an email to explain how you are feeling.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (44)
18.41%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (68)
28.45%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (91)
38.08%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (30)
12.55%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (6)
2.51%

Watched Threads