Which exam board is best for alevels maths

Watch
Yasbro
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have 2 sixth form in mind , and I plan to hopefully do alevels maths and biology and chemistry. I am predicted around an 8 in maths. One of the sixth forms do edexcel maths (50% got an A-A* in 2020)and the other do OCR(70%got an A/A* in 2019) however one thing that worries me is that some people say edexcel is easier then OCR as you can prepare more easily for the edexcel as you know the topics for the C3 C4 examinations so i just wanted to know in your opinions if I should let the fact of the maths exam boards affect which sixth form I go too and if either ones exams are easier for students who a little less confident in maths many thanks .
Maisielytical
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Yasbro)
I have 2 sixth form in mind , and I plan to hopefully do alevels maths and biology and chemistry. I am predicted around an 8 in maths. One of the sixth forms do edexcel maths (50% got an A-A* in 2020)and the other do OCR(70%got an A/A* in 2019) however one thing that worries me is that some people say edexcel is easier then OCR as you can prepare more easily for the edexcel as you know the topics for the C3 C4 examinations so i just wanted to know in your opinions if I should let the fact of the maths exam boards affect which sixth form I go too and if either ones exams are easier for students who a little less confident in maths many thanks .
I would go with Edexcel as an exam board for Maths as OCR can be a bit funny with the way they word questions. Although, if you are able to get to grips with the wording and specific answer requirements, you can do just as well on their papers.
In terms of choosing sixth form based on this. DON'T. Go with the sixth form that makes you feel more comfortable. You also need to consider reputation for teaching and behaviour of other students in the school, equipment and facilities and maybe people that you know that are going there. Don't let this be a deciding factor though as I ended up going to a sixth form with none of my friends because all the other factors were better than the school that my friends ended up going to and I am perfectly happy where I am
Sophhhowa
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
They’re incredibly similar and honestly it doesn’t matter which board. Pick the 6th form you prefer. I did EDEXCEL but would often use OCR questions for extra practice. There’s hardly a difference.
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Edexcel has the most resources and is by a huge margin more popular but in the end it doesn't really matter. As above don't base your sixth form choice around it.
Yasbro
Rep:
?
Is there a difference in the exam between the OCR A and edexcel is the OCR similar in that u know which topic you can for for the exams like you can for edexcel C3 and C4
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Is there a difference in the exam between the OCR A and edexcel is the OCR similar in that u know which topic you can for for the exams like you can for edexcel C3 and C4
Not sure what you mean here, A-level maths is no longer modular in this country and you don't have C1-C4. None of the exam boards have options for A-level maths and you study broadly the same things.
Yasbro
Rep:
?
Oh right so there really isn’t a difference in difficulty between each of the exam boards, I only thought that as my cousin told me it was easier to prepare for c3 and c4 as you know which exact topics for each exam you know you will be asked on
luizasmith230
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
For Edexcel, they changed it to 3 papers (2 pure and 1 applied). Personally, I do Edexcel and I would say there are a lot more resources for it but that's only because a lot of schools choose it. But definitely don't base your choice of sixth form around it! Pick one you would feel comfortable and a supportive environment to reach your goals.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Are you in England? If so there is no C3 and C4 now ...
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oh right so there really isn’t a difference in difficulty between each of the exam boards, I only thought that as my cousin told me it was easier to prepare for c3 and c4 as you know which exact topics for each exam you know you will be asked on
That's pretty old, C3/C4 were last sat non-resit in 2018 for ppl who started sixth form in 2016. You will always have a specification which the exam board stick to, I'm not quite sure what they mean. It's no longer the case you'll only have to prepare for one year of content though since it's all been rolled into one set of exams at the end. (if you do the AS, it doesn't count towards the final A-level)
Last edited by _gcx; 1 month ago
Yasbro
Rep:
?
So there’s not much difference now in the questions diffivulty from each alevel
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So there’s not much difference now in the questions diffivulty from each alevel
There never was. Exam boards are closely moderated to ensure they award grades of equal value.
Yasbro
Rep:
?
Oh right ok would you know any good resources for alevel OCR mathe
Maisielytical
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oh right ok would you know any good resources for alevel OCR mathe
I would always recommend the CGP guides. They are literally my best friend in sixth form but be careful to choose the one specific for OCR A level Maths
Yasbro
Rep:
?
Oh right thanks Would you know any websites or textbooks as well ? By any chance ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (75)
17.77%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (122)
28.91%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (160)
37.91%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (52)
12.32%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (13)
3.08%

Watched Threads