Open this if you are good at english and want to help a sis with her hw

Watch
Study6076
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
This is the question:

In the song 'Karma', by Riz Ahmed, he makes a lot of plays on words that involve combining popular western Pop Culture references or slang with references to South/Central Asian culture " he's the 'baddest'(coolest) 'pakistani}' around"; he "sends them packing when he brings the akhis(brothers) around"; he's "Kurta Cobain" ( a reference to rock star Kurta Cobain); they "used to call (him) Golu ( a hindu festival), now they google (his)reviews", he combines some sexual images with the title of the bollywood song. Why do you think he does this? What is he suggesting to the listener?

I DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW KARMA CAN BE SEXUAL OR IF THAT IS EVEN WHAT THE QUESTION IS ASKING???

the song : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H0KQ2LRXAo
lyrics:https://www.lyricsmode.com/riz_ahmed-karma-1762457.html
Last edited by Study6076; 1 month ago
Study6076
Rep:
?
Can someone helpppp???
josie71202
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
he sexualises women in the lyrics
Study6076
Rep:
?
(Original post by josie71202)
he sexualises women in the lyrics
could you please tell mw why he does this?What he is suggesting? What exact lyrics? How does it link to the title of the song?
josie71202
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Study6076)
could you please tell mw why he does this?What he is suggesting? What exact lyrics? How does it link to the title of the song?
'Self love we flexing that, unless your gals about then she’s sexing that'

he also uses a lot of derogatory language against her

it's probably done to stick to genre conventions

I honestly don't know how the title of the song links to the sexual representation of women
Study6076
Rep:
?
(Original post by josie71202)
'Self love we flexing that, unless your gals about then she’s sexing that'

he also uses a lot of derogatory language against her

it's probably done to stick to genre conventions

I honestly don't know how the title of the song links to the sexual representation of women
what do you mean by genre conventions (sorry i am so bad at english)
KateTravers
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
like hes done that to 'fit in' with the typical type of lyrics and themes in that genre of music
josie71202
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
don't worry it's more media studies than English
KateTravers
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This is the question:

In the song 'Karma', by Riz Ahmed, he makes a lot of plays on words that involve combining popular western Pop Culture references or slang with references to South/Central Asian culture " he's the 'baddest'(coolest) 'pakistani}' around"; he "sends them packing when he brings the akhis(brothers) around"; he's "Kurta Cobain" ( a reference to rock star Kurta Cobain); they "used to call (him) Golu ( a hindu festival), now they google (his)reviews", he combines some sexual images with the title of the bollywood song. Why do you think he does this? What is he suggesting to the listener?

I DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW KARMA CAN BE SEXUAL OR IF THAT IS EVEN WHAT THE QUESTION IS ASKING???

the song : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H0KQ2LRXAo
lyrics:https://www.lyricsmode.com/riz_ahmed-karma-1762457.html
Okay ive just listened..

Karma in itself is not actually sexual but may be a reference to the idea that you do sexual things and youll get the same done onto you like do good things good things happen to you kinda thing.

Lyrics that will be good to pick up on are:
"Switching up positions, doing things she never knew she can" showing that he may have a woman change themselves in either a positive or negative way to suit himself, a theme common amongst popular grime/pop culture music which emphasises the dated idea that women are their to serve a man (sexually or however else). This idea of servitude is also seen further up in the song with the lyrics "turned us into servants till we love to hate our face"

The "kurta cobain" line could be in reference to the toxicity of todays media and pop culture society as Kurt Cobain committed suicide by gunshot due to the pressures he felt. This is further seen in the lyrics "They called me Dirty Pak and Nerdy Hack" which is a reference to racis, he may have faced that could have effected self-esteem and self-image, a topic very relevant in western pop-culture and globally with everyone wanting the ideal body.

hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (41)
18.39%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (63)
28.25%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (85)
38.12%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (29)
13%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.24%

Watched Threads