Briana5647
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
James Patrick’ Glasgow gangs (strengths and weaknesses)

Whyte studied inner city male street gangs. He “hung around” with them but they knew he was a researcher. (Strengths and weaknesses)

Parker studied youths who stole from cars (strengths and weaknesses)

Humphreys studied homosexual activity in public toilets. He pretended to be a “gay voyeur” but he did not join in. (Strengths and weaknesses)
katieireland1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
With Patrick's study of Glasgow Gangs, your most obvious strength is the fact that the research was done covertly, meaning that the research collected has higher validity because of his actual involvement with the group. However, the biggest weakness is the ethical factors, because he had to deceive the group 'Getting in getting out' (Hobbs) so you have the danger of psychological harm to the participants but the researcher himself could be in danger when they discovered that he was actually a researcher. You could also consider how he had to participate in gang activity whilst being part of the group so that he wouldn't get found out and he likely turned a blind eye to activities he would typically object to in his everyday life.
katieireland1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Humphreys 'Tea Room's' study he actually acted as a sort of watchman, I can't remember what the actual title of it was sorry. but his research has a lot of ethical issues because he recorded the numberplates and details of the men and confronted them at their homes where their wives and children would've been, almost trying to blackmail them into consenting to the research.
Briana5647
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by katieireland1)
with patrick's study of glasgow gangs, your most obvious strength is the fact that the research was done covertly, meaning that the research collected has higher validity because of his actual involvement with the group. However, the biggest weakness is the ethical factors, because he had to deceive the group 'getting in getting out' (hobbs) so you have the danger of psychological harm to the participants but the researcher himself could be in danger when they discovered that he was actually a researcher. You could also consider how he had to participate in gang activity whilst being part of the group so that he wouldn't get found out and he likely turned a blind eye to activities he would typically object to in his everyday life.
thank u soo much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (47)
17.87%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (74)
28.14%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (100)
38.02%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (33)
12.55%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (9)
3.42%

Watched Threads