How long did it take you to get over your first love?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I wasn’t in the relationship long, about 6 months, but the breakup that I made, felt quite sudden. It was like we were happy one minute and the next a flood of unhappiness washed over me and I could no longer see a future with him. I’m devastated how things ended but I couldn’t expect anything else. It may be too early to say “i should be over him by now” it’s only been a month and during this time I’ve had massive wake up calls that a breakup is not the end of the world. But I want to know how long it took you, and if I continue to feel like this, 2, 3 months down the line, even though I’m the one that ended it, should I consider talking to someone professional?
dylgeo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Can’t get over a first love if you never had one in the first place. The bag always come first before a relationship 💯
khadijaaaxxxx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
not had one yet
JustOneMoreThing
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think you should keep yourself busy with work/college/school and any hobbies you have, you don’t move on by thinking about it but time + keeping busy = growth
brokestudent3
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
a year
Coke1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A year
OceanCat
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Way too long and it wasn't even real enough
LovelyMrFox
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You shouldnt need to talk to a professional about a breakup, its only been a month at that.. Sadness is normal.
Eat some chocolate and make sure you're taking care of yourself.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I wasn’t in the relationship long, about 6 months, but the breakup that I made, felt quite sudden. It was like we were happy one minute and the next a flood of unhappiness washed over me and I could no longer see a future with him. I’m devastated how things ended but I couldn’t expect anything else. It may be too early to say “i should be over him by now” it’s only been a month and during this time I’ve had massive wake up calls that a breakup is not the end of the world. But I want to know how long it took you, and if I continue to feel like this, 2, 3 months down the line, even though I’m the one that ended it, should I consider talking to someone professional?
May I ask how old you are? I went through a breakup similar to that recently also, so I can tell u what I did to get over it
Anonymous #3
Report 1 month ago
about 2 years or so
Anonymous #4
Report 1 month ago
Probably around 10 months total. A few months towards the end of the relationship when we were sorta "on a break" and I'd basically accepted it was over. And then another 6 months after the actual end when I realised I wasn't in love with him anymore.
Anonymous #1
May I ask how old you are? I went through a breakup similar to that recently also, so I can tell u what I did to get over it
I’m 20, and it was my first proper relationship.
Tashax2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’m in a similar boat I’ve been on and off with one guy since jan and I tried to get over him but I feel like it’s impossible
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Oh gosh I am so sorry to hear that. I am 16 and had my heart broken by my first love back in September. I am off to bed now but will leave you with some links tomorrow that might help a bit
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Tashax2)
I’m in a similar boat I’ve been on and off with one guy since jan and I tried to get over him but I feel like it’s impossible
I'll send u some links also, they personally helped me recover so much
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It took me 7 years but mainly because there was abuse/trauma involved, so there was a lot of mind**** to deal with :sadnod:
Tashax2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'll send u some links also, they personally helped me recover so much
Thank you x I really need it
Anonymous #1
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
It took me 7 years but mainly because there was abuse/trauma involved, so there was a lot of mind**** to deal with :sadnod:
I’m so sorry you had to go through that. I hope you continue to feel better in yourself now.
olivka
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
From experience I know that love never goes away. If you truly loved the person there will always be love there, sometimes more sometimes less. However you can still get over them, you just have to understand your self worth and that it is over. To understand it is over I had accepted and was joyful for the memories we had than regretting what we could’ve had. Accept that he was part of your life but also know that it wouldn’t work out and therefore it can no longer be a burden.

Honestly, it can be hard and getting support from someone else could be the best way to go on
Anonymous #5
Report 1 month ago
Idk, I don’t like to think about it. Thinking about them isn’t abnormal. These feelings don’t go away that fast. You need time to heal, so focus on yourself, keep yourself busy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (251)
57.18%
I don't have everything I need (188)
42.82%

Watched Threads