Is it a bad idea to take Ambien/Stilnoct (zolpidem) on a flight?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'll be travelling to Toronto in February and it will be a long flight. My GP say he will prescribe either 20 tablets of 10mg zolpidem tartate or 20 tablets of 1mg alprazolam (Xanax). I'm wondering if I should take it to sleep throughout the night.

The reason I ask is because I've taken Ambien and it can make you quite loopy. It isn't just a sleeping pill. Thankfully, I don't hallucinate or sleepwalk but the unpredictability of taking it in an enclosed space with 50+ people around you makes me reconsider.

Should I stick with Xanax?
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A GP will prescribe you Xanax?!

Why do you need either of those medications anyway?
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I just popped a Xanny, 13 hrs till I land had me out like a light yeahhh like a light yeahhh

Spoiler:
Show
drakes verse from sicko mode lol
IanDangerously
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ask your doctor which one he thinks would be the best to prescribe?

I could be doing with getting something like that prescribed for long haul flights!
Etomidate
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'll be travelling to Toronto in February and it will be a long flight. My GP say he will prescribe either 20 tablets of 10mg zolpidem tartate or 20 tablets of 1mg alprazolam (Xanax). I'm wondering if I should take it to sleep throughout the night.

The reason I ask is because I've taken Ambien and it can make you quite loopy. It isn't just a sleeping pill. Thankfully, I don't hallucinate or sleepwalk but the unpredictability of taking it in an enclosed space with 50+ people around you makes me reconsider.

Should I stick with Xanax?
I find it hard to believe that your GP would be prescribing these particular drugs, at these doses and in these quantities for this purpose.

1mg of alprazolam is ridiculous. This drug is rarely prescribed in the UK and I don’t think most formularies even have 1mg tablets. Also why would he issue you with 20 tablets of a drug that is well known for recreational abuse?
Last edited by Etomidate; 1 month ago
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Bang Outta Order)
I say pop the Xan friend 👍💊 I love pills. Discreet. Simple consumption. Tasteless, kinda. Better than lean and weed when it comes to the taste part.
I still can't believe that's a thing, like a child's version of Percocet :lol: Either way, wouldnt that just taste, more or less, like pop?
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Etomidate)
I find it hard to believe that your GP would be prescribing these particular drugs, at these doses and in these quantities for this purpose.

1mg of alprazolam is ridiculous. This drug is rarely prescribed in the UK and I don’t think most formularies even have 1mg tablets. Also why would he issue you with 20 tablets of a drug that is well known for recreational abuse?
I'm inclined to think they're American to be honest, or simply have a GP bereft of scruples :lol:

In fairness though, i always thought 1mg of the stuff was a fairly standard dose.. such as it is anyway. Whenever you see the stuff abroad or for err resale it tends to be in 1mg doses?
Etomidate
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Napp)
I'm inclined to think they're American to be honest, or simply have a GP bereft of scruples :lol:

In fairness though, i always thought 1mg of the stuff was a fairly standard dose.. such as it is anyway. Whenever you see the stuff abroad or for err resale it tends to be in 1mg doses?
It’s not prescribed by NHS GPs and is only legally available through private prescription, usually in 250-500 microgram doses.

In the UK, 1mg tablets are usually illicit counterfeit versions, the studies of which have shown they essentially contain a random amount of the drug. Alprazolam is already 10x stronger than diazepam, so if you then happen to buy a tablet that contains even more (and some studies have suggested some contain 10x what should be in 1mg), then it will be a loved one finding you dead the next day.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It’s not prescribed by NHS GPs and is only legally available through private prescription, usually in 250-500 microgram doses.

In the UK, 1mg tablets are usually illicit counterfeit versions, the studies of which have shown they essentially contain a random amount of the drug. Alprazolam is already 10x stronger than diazepam, so if you then happen to buy a tablet that contains even more (and some studies have suggested some contain 10x what should be in 1mg), then it will be a loved one finding you dead the next day.
Interesting that they've drawn a legal distinction between the NHS and private scripts there.

Not unreasonable, 'pressed pills' having always been a thoroughly dodgy game to find yourself in. The point i was more making though is that the medication is quite easy to find in foreign pharmacies in the 1mg format, although i'm not completely sure i'd trust what the Burmese print of their blisters to be entirely true either way :lol:.
Although to be honest i rather doubt 10mg is going to kill many people, its the dubious additives that will knock you for six.
Etomidate
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Napp)
Interesting that they've drawn a legal distinction between the NHS and private scripts there.

Not unreasonable, 'pressed pills' having always been a thoroughly dodgy game to find yourself in. The point i was more making though is that the medication is quite easy to find in foreign pharmacies in the 1mg format, although i'm not completely sure i'd trust what the Burmese print of their blisters to be entirely true either way :lol:.
Although to be honest i rather doubt 10mg is going to kill many people, its the dubious additives that will knock you for six.
It’s not a legal distinction. It’s just that the NHS recognises the potential for harm associated with alprazolam.

Your foreign “pharmacies” that sell to the UK without prescription will be selling counterfeit drugs. You’re incredibly naive to think otherwise.

10mg of alprazolam would certainly be fatal unless you’ve built up a ridiculous dependence (ie after months of daily heavy usage). That’s equivalent to 100mg of diazepam of which the normal starting dose is around 5mg!
Last edited by Etomidate; 1 month ago
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It’s not a legal distinction. It’s just that the NHS recognises the potential for harm associated with alprazolam.

Your foreign “pharmacies” that sell to the UK without prescription will be selling counterfeit drugs. You’re incredibly naive to think otherwise.

10mg of alprazolam would certainly be fatal unless you’ve built up a ridiculous dependence (ie after months of daily heavy usage). That’s equivalent to 100mg of diazepam of which the normal starting dose is around 5mg!
Ah gotcha.

Where did i say anything about foreign pharmacies selling to the UK? Instead of being needlessly rude you should probably read what i wrote again. I said foreign pharmacies and not mail order crap for a reason.

Decidedly unhealthy and highly unrecommended? Sure. Fatal? Unlikely. At least I have yet to come across a case study of anyone dying from that sort of quantity (at least on its own and not mixed with something else), not least of all when the LD50 is in the hundreds of mg to grams. By all means, show me a study to the contrary though.
Etomidate
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Napp)
Ah gotcha.

Where did i say anything about foreign pharmacies selling to the UK? Instead of being needlessly rude you should probably read what i wrote again. I said foreign pharmacies and not mail order crap for a reason.

Decidedly unhealthy and highly unrecommended? Sure. Fatal? Unlikely. At least I have yet to come across a case study of anyone dying from that sort of quantity (at least on its own and not mixed with something else), not least of all when the LD50 is in the hundreds of mg to grams. By all means, show me a study to the contrary though.
Toxbase and the NPIS list a toxic alprazolam dose as being 0.05mg/kg, which would equate to 3.5mg in an average 70kg person. Although this is listed as a toxic dose and not neccesarily a fatal dose, you're already in risky territory with 3.5mg let alone 100mg. LD50 in rats isn't particularly useful in extrapolating toxicity in humans - just look at paracetamol for example.

There is plenty of academia around the harm relating to alprazolam but specific case which can clearly identify a single toxic dose are difficult as estimates can only be made based upon post-mortem blood levels and often co-ingestion of other substances muddies the water.

Either way, it's a moot point. Speaking as someone whose literal day job is to make people unconscious safely, 100mg is a stupid dose, as is 1mg for a flight. Taking non-prescribed benzodiazepines is even stupider. Taking counterfeit benzodiazepines is just Darwinian.
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Napp)
I still can't believe that's a thing, like a child's version of Percocet :lol: Either way, wouldnt that just taste, more or less, like pop?
Can't believe it's a thing? Ppl are dropping dead as we speak from it. Also. Sir. Do you know what lean is...? Because your assessment of it from a scientific AND social standpoint was completely wrong. First off percs are oxycodones... Lean is codeine. Those are two tooootally different things, and they create two diff feelings and effects... Then lean taste like ****...its cough syrup... That's why ppl take forever to finish their lean, it's garbage so they just sip it. Even if they mix it with sprite or grape juice or whatever it still has that harsh bitter medical taste. Ppl say it taste fine but they're lying or they're just used to it.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Go the chemists, buy a box of promethazine.
Take a standard dose.
No risk that the promethazine has been cut with anything.
Presumably it will be significantly cheaper than street drugs (around £8 for 50 tabs).
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Go the chemists, buy a box of promethazine.
Take a standard dose.
No risk that the promethazine has been cut with anything.
Presumably it will be significantly cheaper than street drugs (around £8 for 50 tabs).
this. or just watch a film like normal people.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Bang Outta Order)
Can't believe it's a thing? Ppl are dropping dead as we speak from it. Also. Sir. Do you know what lean is...? Because your assessment of it from a scientific AND social standpoint was completely wrong. First off percs are oxycodones... Lean is codeine. Those are two tooootally different things, and they create two diff feelings and effects... Then lean taste like ****...its cough syrup... That's why ppl take forever to finish their lean, it's garbage so they just sip it. Even if they mix it with sprite or grape juice or whatever it still has that harsh bitter medical taste. Ppl say it taste fine but they're lying or they're just used to it.
Whom is dropping dead from it exactly? Poisoning yourself with promethizine (or whatever that additive is) sounds somewhat, to use the prior posters comment, darwinian.
I am aware of what it is... hence why i didnt say they were the same ? Although if you think that codeine isnt simpler a weaker opioid than the other one (which is what i said) it would seem to be your science that is somewhat off, no?
Can't say i've ever felt the need to try it so ill defer to you on its flavour profile :rolleyes:
Last edited by Napp; 1 month ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Napp)
Whom is dropping dead from it exactly? Codeine not being an especially deadly drug in its own right.
I am aware of what it is... hence why i didnt say they were the same ? Although if you think that codeine isnt simpler a weaker opioid than the other one (which is what i said) it would seem to be your science that is somewhat off, no?
Can't say i've ever felt the need to try it so ill defer to you on its flavour profile :rolleyes:
All I'll say is you British people are missing out on good opiates. I live in Ireland and first became acquainted with OTC Nurofen Plus (codeine phosphate) back in 2017. It was euphoric but taking it daily led to me building up a tolerance. It also has a ceiling dose of 400mg which makes it pretty ****.

When I went to the States, my aunt gave me a couple of her Vicodin pills for a wisdom tooth pain. Vicodin is hydrocodone and the name means (six times stronger than codeine). Despite Vicodin being in the same class as Nurofen Plus, they are nothing alike, it's like coffee and cocaine. The hydrocodone hit me within 10 minutes. But I had the most horrendous itch of my life 3 hours afterwards. Also became depressed a week after stopping it.

But I know in the U.S., the DEA has cracked down on physicians who overprescribe opiates.
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
All I'll say is you British people are missing out on good opiates. I live in Ireland and first became acquainted with OTC Nurofen Plus (codeine phosphate) back in 2017. It was euphoric but taking it daily led to me building up a tolerance. It also has a ceiling dose of 400mg which makes it pretty ****.

When I went to the States, my aunt gave me a couple of her Vicodin pills for a wisdom tooth pain. Vicodin is hydrocodone and the name means (six times stronger than codeine). Despite Vicodin being in the same class as Nurofen Plus, they are nothing alike, it's like coffee and cocaine. The hydrocodone hit me within 10 minutes. But I had the most horrendous itch of my life 3 hours afterwards. Also became depressed a week after stopping it.

But I know in the U.S., the DEA has cracked down on physicians who overprescribe opiates.
sounds like you have a problem...
Anonymous #1
(Original post by black tea)
sounds like you have a problem...
In what way do I have a problem?
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
And this is why such medications are being removed from the shelves in many countries because some tit abuses it
In what way are they the same class?
Well of course it 'hits' faster, codeine doesnt do anything in its own right it's a prodrug.
Interesting on the name though, i assumed it was just another fun spitballing session from the lads in marketing.
[/quote]
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (20)
13.42%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (41)
27.52%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (61)
40.94%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (23)
15.44%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
2.68%

Watched Threads