How would you structure an essay like this? English Literature.

Watch
meowgi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello everyone!

I have a 2,500 word essay on an apocalypse module I take for English Literature. I'm struggling with how to structure the essay and I would appreciate any suggestions.

Here's the question:

"Post-apocalyptic worlds stress the tensions between morality and survival. Evaluate this statement."

I have already chosen the zombie apocalypse and what I'll be writing on but the question has confused me.

Does it want me to compare morality and survival and decide which one apocalypse literature focuses on more?
Grizwuld
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by meowgi)
Hello everyone!

I have a 2,500 word essay on an apocalypse module I take for English Literature. I'm struggling with how to structure the essay and I would appreciate any suggestions.

Here's the question:

"Post-apocalyptic worlds stress the tensions between morality and survival. Evaluate this statement."

I have already chosen the zombie apocalypse and what I'll be writing on but the question has confused me.

Does it want me to compare morality and survival and decide which one apocalypse literature focuses on more?
Compare only requires descriptions - quantitative but not necessarily qualitative.
Evaluate requires judgement and explanation.

Consider this: in a post apocalyptic world a group of survivors (35-50) set up in an isolated valley to grow food and farm animals. One of their number is untrustworthy, workshy and commits a serious crime. The sentence would have been 7-10 years in prison. The survivalists have no prison, cannot spare personnel to guard the criminal and not do not have a food surplus for a non-contributor. Further should he escape he might reveal the location of the secret valley - placing everyone in real danger. He is executed to resolve "the tensions between morality and survival".

Were the survivalists justified? Was it justice? Could you have pulled the trigger? Discuss and evaluate.
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Consider how survivalists may survive in a post apocalyptic world. Discuss any lessons learned etc. Judgement and explanation.
think_patronus
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hello! Can I ask you how does this relate to English literature?
To me, an ignorant in the subject, it sounds like philosophy. Would the essay require evidence that comes from other literary texts (and not from psychology/criminal papers/statistics), so meaning is the question about how the survival/mora juxtaposition is explored in other fiction, by other/more authors?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (81)
18.54%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (125)
28.6%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (163)
37.3%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (55)
12.59%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (13)
2.97%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed