Watch
ANM775
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
If you live in Scotland that is

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...itics-51629880

Do you think it is right that period products should be free?
The money has to come from somewhere remember... aka the taxpaying public....

Spoiler:
Show

ps: If any women here live in scotland, send me some and i'll sell them in england and we can split the profit
OceanCat
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I got so excited then read ... scotland.
ANM775
Rep:
?
(Original post by SoulfulTwist)
I got so excited then read ... scotland.
OceanCat
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ANM775)
They should have period banks like they have food banks and whoever needs can get it from there.
ANM775
Rep:
?
(Original post by SoulfulTwist)
They should have period banks like they have food banks and whoever needs can get it from there.
I initially laughed when I read that., ..but thinking about it, if there are "food banks" then perhaps there is an argument for period banks
gracieee16
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So only happening in Scotland? Very unfair, period products should be free everywhere
ANM775
Rep:
?
(Original post by gracieee16)
So only happening in Scotland? Very unfair, period products should be free everywhere
The money to make them free will have to come from the taxpayer, and half of the taxpayers do not have periods. Is that fair?
OceanCat
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Only for the extreme poor I think.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I initially laughed when I read that., ..but thinking about it, if there are "food banks" then perhaps there is an argument for period banks
I think so.
Wōden
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why should they be free anywhere?
gracieee16
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The money to make them free will have to come from the taxpayer, and half of the taxpayers do not have periods. Is that fair?
I suppose not , no
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Lucky Scots i guess.
To be honest i don't really buy the financial argument, in the grand scheme of things this is a very small drop in a very large ocean (unless someone would like to correct my assumption on the finances here). However, i guess the argument on 'fairness' does stand to a point although one would argue it is rather beside the point when girls/women are being forced to stuff an old tshirt down their knickers to avoid the egregious embarrassment of what happens when a tampon cant be afforded, by the poor.
TCA2b
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oh, Scotland... :rolleyes:

Will they be Tartan themed?
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I imagine it'll be like free condoms - available in a fair number of places, potentially at fairly low quality, but ultimately most people still buy their own.
LovelyMrFox
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How clickbait-ey of you.
Dont have much of an issue either way. There are a number of charities and sexual health clinics that offer them free to those cannot afford them already, to those who can its just a nuisance to spend money on such products.
Last edited by LovelyMrFox; 1 month ago
caravaggio2
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Considerably more tax revenue comes from men than women so.....have them on us girls.
Stiff Little Fingers
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There's thousands of things that are funded by taxes that don't affect all taxpayers, objections on the basis of "well I don't stand to benefit from this" are ridiculously self-centred. Period poverty is a serious issue when you then see people missing school or work because they can't afford menstrual products and as such is an issue that should be addressed, with things like this
Calibrated.
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Is this one of those really dumb men's rights activists arguments?

I also can't give birth, yet I don't whine about the fairness of having to contribute to the costs of the associated medical care.
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This is basically just virtue-signaling on the part of the Scottish government, in my opinion. How many women will really be popping down to the public toilets to grab their (almost undoubtedly terrible quality) free tampons? In my opinion, it would've been better to just give those women who need it the £10/month.
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Calibrated.)
Is this one of those really dumb men's rights activists arguments?

I also can't give birth, yet I don't whine about the fairness of having to contribute to the costs of the associated medical care.
You could whine about it if you wanted.
imlikeahermit
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Very easy to deliver when you have a never ending chequebook known as the Barnett Consequentials.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (213)
56.65%
I don't have everything I need (163)
43.35%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed