Modern history or straight history - urgent please help!

Watch
thepunmaster.e
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So my UCAS application is being sent off at the end of this week, with my personal statement being basically finished. But I still can't decide if I should apply for St Andrews (my first choice) for Modern History or just history. If I do apply for Modern History, St Andrews is the only uni that does that course so all of my other applications will just be History. Should I mention the phrase "modern history" in my personal statement,? Am I more likely to get in if I apply for modern history? I'm so confused and stressed please help
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by thepunmaster.e)
So my UCAS application is being sent off at the end of this week, with my personal statement being basically finished. But I still can't decide if I should apply for St Andrews (my first choice) for Modern History or just history. If I do apply for Modern History, St Andrews is the only uni that does that course so all of my other applications will just be History. Should I mention the phrase "modern history" in my personal statement,? Am I more likely to get in if I apply for modern history? I'm so confused and stressed please help
stick with history. i might be wrong but if my subject at st andrews (biology) is anything to go by, modern history and history are both the same degree just with different module combinations - often only in the last two years (i really shouldn't be lazy and look it up before i answer though lol)
something_orphic
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
yeah stick w history otherwise it will look like you dont know what you are applying for. You want to make it work for both basically. Don't stress and good luck
thepunmaster.e
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I've spoken to my history teacher and she said that my statement was fine as I talk a lot about things that happened in modern history anyway, and it works for my other choices as well
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (20)
13.99%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (36)
25.17%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (61)
42.66%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (22)
15.38%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
2.8%

Watched Threads