Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anybody else having a problem with Maple TA? I wanted to get it all out of the way but it doesn't display hints! And on the Pre-Sessional Mechanics 1 test I can't press Next, no matter what answer I select :/
    LOL.

ReputationRep:
    Arghhh I really hope I don't get tests. It'll be such a slap especially after the entire holiday of just relaxation and minimal work...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I can't get the hints to work either.

On the pre-sessional mechanics 1 you have to press grade and then if you're right you'll be able to press next I think.

ReputationRep:
    Ooh!
    Are you sure you have to press grade first? I never had to press it on the primer test I was scared it'd grade the entire test!

ReputationRep:
    I didn't have to on the primer test either

It was the only way i could find to do it though, and it only marks the current question

ReputationRep:
    Thankyouu!! I just tried +reputation so I hope it worked

ReputationRep:
    I hadnt looked on the web tutorial site until now, so i didnt realise we had to do anything. Had forgotten all about it, so i'll have a look at it some time in the next week.

BTW louberry, i think i was in the same tutorial group as you on the open day. With the astrophysics guy that talked about galaxies and dark matter etc.

ReputationRep:
    Ooh good! Nice to know I'll be studying with somebody I've vaguely met before Haha I remember standing up there and being like.. I don't know how to draw a graphhh! Must have looked realllyyy clever up there :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louberry)
    Ooh good! Nice to know I'll be studying with somebody I've vaguely met before Haha I remember standing up there and being like.. I don't know how to draw a graphhh! Must have looked realllyyy clever up there :cool:
    When do we have to do this by? I have so much to do before we start - I don't want to be re-learning mechanics right now !

ReputationRep:
    If you have the Tipler and Mosca textbook you're supposed to try to read the first 5 chapters. There are then some Web Tutorials that they want people to have a look at before they get there,
    You can find those here. From the Web Tutorials there's a link to the Maple TA tests. They want you to do it before you get to Bristol, but I'm sure they won't hate you if for some reason you haven't done it all. I reckon the tests are the things they want you to do as a priority, as they want to find out where everybody is with their maths to determine what level to start off at etc. The textbook reading is 90% revision, as are the Web Tutorials, although there is a bit of new/more expanded stuff in both.

ReputationRep:
    If you have the Tipler and Mosca textbook you're supposed to try to read the first 5 chapters. There are then some Web Tutorials that they want people to have a look at before they get there,
    You can find those here. From the Web Tutorials there's a link to the Maple TA tests. They want you to do it before you get to Bristol, but I'm sure they won't hate you if for some reason you haven't done it all. I reckon the tests are the things they want you to do as a priority, as they want to find out where everybody is with their maths to determine what level to start off at etc. The textbook reading is 90% revision, as are the Web Tutorials, although there is a bit of new/more expanded stuff in both.
    *******s

Well unfortunately i'm refusing to buy any books until the uni give me my bursary. So I think I may not be learning anything until January.

ReputationRep:
    The reading was only if you managed to get hold of the textbook before you got there I think. You could still do the web tutorials and the tests though WOO TESTS :P

ReputationRep:
    The reading was only if you managed to get hold of the textbook before you got there I think. You could still do the web tutorials and the tests though WOO TESTS :P
    Web tutorials; started really boringly and easily. Then I needed the fourth one. The end of the fifth one I need to learn but didn't understand the point in it and by that point was really tired. I suppose I don't really learn maths from being talked at - I learn from doing it

Well I should have the books soon - but I wont have any time to read them! Maybe the weekend after freshers week. I'm really excited; I've wanted to be doing this for 5 years and it had better be good!

Haven't tried the tests yet btw - they ok?

ReputationRep:
    I don't really learn from being talked at either! I just made sure that I watched the tutorials a bit at a time because doing them in one bit fest of them would kill meee!
    The tests aren't too bad, though some of them are a bit confusing! There are some basic mechanics questions and harder concept questions. I'm only halfway through those though!

ReputationRep:
    I was at the Bristol open day yesterday...the Physics department was amazing! Just wandered if you guys are there yet...and if so, how is it? I couldn't believe how pretty it was for a Physics block!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamie_90)
    I was at the Bristol open day yesterday...the Physics department was amazing! Just wandered if you guys are there yet...and if so, how is it? I couldn't believe how pretty it was for a Physics block!
    That open day was so brilliant. I went to ask if I could change from chemical physics to engineering maths (they said I could so I have hard decisions to make). But it was such a good opportunity to flirt with lost girls :p:

Can I presume too that you were talking about the Royal Fort rather than the 60's frontage ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by History Lost in Physics)
    That open day was so brilliant. I went to ask if I could change from chemical physics to engineering maths (they said I could so I have hard decisions to make). But it was such a good opportunity to flirt with lost girls :p:

Can I presume too that you were talking about the Royal Fort rather than the 60's frontage ?
    haha! well, actually, I saw the 60s bit first and I was like woah! that's actually pretty good for a physics department...that ticks the box looks-wise. Got redirected to go 'round the back'...walked through the foresty bit and saw what looked like a church "no way is this the physics department, this must be the chapel"...got rounf the back "wow that's awesome! I guess this is just like a general lecture block that they use as a showpiece"...got inside and saw all the physics related stuff "no freeking way!!"

Did you get any of the ice cream? It was fantastic! Waiting to go in for the lecture, there was a load of attractive girls and a few boys coming out of the lecture theatre before us and I thought "no WAY does Bristol attract an a) very female and b) relatively (for physics) attractive load of students"...looked up on the wall "Psycology lecture 2.00-2.45" :p:

Have a look at any of the accomodation? We (went down with 7 mates) didn't have the chance, but I hear it's not very good??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamie_90)
    haha! well, actually, I saw the 60s bit first and I was like woah! that's actually pretty good for a physics department...that ticks the box looks-wise. Got redirected to go 'round the back'...walked through the foresty bit and saw what looked like a church "no way is this the physics department, this must be the chapel"...got rounf the back "wow that's awesome! I guess this is just like a general lecture block that they use as a showpiece"...got inside and saw all the physics related stuff "no freeking way!!"

Did you get any of the ice cream? It was fantastic! Waiting to go in for the lecture, there was a load of attractive girls and a few boys coming out of the lecture theatre before us and I thought "no WAY does Bristol attract an a) very female and b) relatively (for physics) attractive load of students"...looked up on the wall "Psycology lecture 2.00-2.45" :p:

Have a look at any of the accomodation? We (went down with 7 mates) didn't have the chance, but I hear it's not very good??
    Sorry I haven't gotten back to you. Saying goodbye drinks and freshers week have been using up most of my time! Currently dressed as a pirate and too drunk (just walked back) - depends which hall, i'm in hiatt baker which is really nice - though the bar is a tad too small (u have to wait for an age to get served).

Going for my introductory lecture in the morning - should be good

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 1, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.