JamiePhillips
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I wanted to know how to get out of bottom set english because i'm being pressured by my parents to get into a higher set.
djkaye
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Firstly, do a lot of practice papers. Improve how you answer the question as well as the topic. Put in the effort; but ensure that you put in the effort correctly. Ask your teacher if they will mark / give feedback on the papers. This will show your teacher you want to improve.
At the end GCSE English sets don't always correlate to GCSE results - some people were dropped sets and got better results than top set at my school.
JamiePhillips
Rep:
?
(Original post by djkaye)
Firstly, do a lot of practice papers. Improve how you answer the question as well as the topic. Put in the effort; but ensure that you put in the effort correctly. Ask your teacher if they will mark / give feedback on the papers. This will show your teacher you want to improve.
At the end GCSE English sets don't always correlate to GCSE results - some people were dropped sets and got better results than top set at my school.
Thanks for the help 🙂
CaptainDuckie
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I use to be bottom set / third set during year 7-8 days, but I worked hard from year 9, then moved to set 2 for everything then for year 10-11 I was top set.

Then at the end of GCSE I got grade 9’s. My top tip is just take it as if it’s a game.. study to pass the exams.. your teachers are there for a reason, write answers and let them mark it until you get full marks
Last edited by CaptainDuckie; 1 month ago
JamiePhillips
Rep:
?
(Original post by CaptainDuckie)
I use to be bottom set / third set during year 7-8 days, but I worked hard from year 9, then moved to set 2 for everything then for year 10-11 I was top set.

Then at the end of GCSE I got grade 9’s. My top tip is just take it as if it’s a game.. study to pass the exams.. your teachers are there for a reason, write answers and let them mark it until you get full marks
Should I start studying for GCSE now?
CaptainDuckie
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by JamiePhillips)
Should I start studying for GCSE now?
If you want to but don’t over work yourself
chryssucks
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, I wanted to know how to get out of bottom set english because i'm being pressured by my parents to get into a higher set.
Hey! I can actually relate to this one because i was in B-Band year 7-end of yr9. Honestly just show that you want to be in school, put in that extra work. I’m assuming you’re not in year 11 or 10 so I say be a little “extra” than the other kids. Year 9 was my year, I worked so hard and it payed off. I think I was in set 5 and now I’m in year 11 in set 1. Not to sound like a teacher or anything, but you get what you put in. I recommend watching an inspirational video (idk why it works okay!!) and sitting your ass down and writing out things you don’t understand. Again, assuming you’re in the lower years of highs school take it slow! little by little. also remember you’re not doing it for your parents, you’re doing it for you! move up sets and make yourself proud. good luck!!
JamiePhillips
Rep:
?
(Original post by chryssucks)
Hey! I can actually relate to this one because i was in B-Band year 7-end of yr9. Honestly just show that you want to be in school, put in that extra work. I’m assuming you’re not in year 11 or 10 so I say be a little “extra” than the other kids. Year 9 was my year, I worked so hard and it payed off. I think I was in set 5 and now I’m in year 11 in set 1. Not to sound like a teacher or anything, but you get what you put in. I recommend watching an inspirational video (idk why it works okay!!) and sitting your ass down and writing out things you don’t understand. Again, assuming you’re in the lower years of highs school take it slow! little by little. also remember you’re not doing it for your parents, you’re doing it for you! move up sets and make yourself proud. good luck!!
Is it a problem that i'm in yr 10?
chryssucks
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Is it a problem that i'm in yr 10?
at least in my school we stop moving people up after yr9. but either way, english sets don’t matter. everyone does the same paper, you’re fine. if you want to jump ahead i suggest you maybe ask your teacher what three books you’re doing for literature. (If you already don’t know) and start reading it and getting familiarity with the text. also sort your narrative out! i have my language mock today and i still and puzzled about a solid plot for my story. start early, in small chunks and you’ll be fine.
JamiePhillips
Rep:
?
(Original post by chryssucks)
at least in my school we stop moving people up after yr9. but either way, english sets don’t matter. everyone does the same paper, you’re fine. if you want to jump ahead i suggest you maybe ask your teacher what three books you’re doing for literature. (If you already don’t know) and start reading it and getting familiarity with the text. also sort your narrative out! i have my language mock today and i still and puzzled about a solid plot for my story. start early, in small chunks and you’ll be fine.
I was kinda worried about the paper part bc in science and maths there are a higher so thanks for clarifying
chryssucks
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I was kinda worried about the paper part bc in science and maths there are a higher so thanks for clarifying
that’s fine! english is not set higher and lower it’s just all the same for being bands
Last edited by chryssucks; 1 month ago
jduxie4414
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you really set your mind to it, I'm sure you'll be able to move up a set following a set of mocks etc, or a discussion with your teacher to improve, make sure you keep your texts fresh in your memory (for lit) and maybe practice writing short narratives for lang!

As with any other subject, I would recommend completing as many past papers as possible, as practice makes perfect . If you ask your teacher nicely, they should be able to mark these for you and give you feedback, and after time you should see yourself starting to improve!

Let me know if there's anything specific I can help with!
JamiePhillips
Rep:
?
(Original post by jduxie4414)
If you really set your mind to it, I'm sure you'll be able to move up a set following a set of mocks etc, or a discussion with your teacher to improve, make sure you keep your texts fresh in your memory (for lit) and maybe practice writing short narratives for lang!

As with any other subject, I would recommend completing as many past papers as possible, as practice makes perfect . If you ask your teacher nicely, they should be able to mark these for you and give you feedback, and after time you should see yourself starting to improve!

Let me know if there's anything specific I can help with!
I dont understand how I can be in set 1 and 2 for everything else but be in set 5 for English. Also thanks for the reply
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A unique way is to do puzzles. Read. Make notes as well. Also do practice questions and use flashcards. Get and understand feedback. Even if it is a written report on your exam paper that counts. Buy some workbooks online etc to use for revision sessions. Brush up on your revision skills and technique.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (437)
56.24%
I don't have everything I need (340)
43.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise