The Student Room Group

Msc in Aerospace engineering in UK

Hi Guys! I am from India and am planning to admit for Msc in Aerospace engineering from either of Coventry, Kingston or Hertfordshire university. Any feedback from students or Alumni in the field would be highly appreciated. I am self funding so this is a huge decision. Major questions are-
1)Which and how better are the universities in comparison to each other in teaching and practicals?
2) These are relatively mid level universities with mid range fees so does going for a university with x1.75-2 times the fees make a huge difference or does it depend on your performance?
3) What are the employment scenarios in the Aero field after Covid. I am likely to complete in Jan 2022 so how likely and how good would be the job or internship opportunities then?

Any feedback or suggestions are welcome amd highly appreciated.
Please help this little brother of yours.
Thank you😊
Reply 1
Original post by fukhat
Hi Guys! I am from India and am planning to admit for Msc in Aerospace engineering from either of Coventry, Kingston or Hertfordshire university. Any feedback from students or Alumni in the field would be highly appreciated. I am self funding so this is a huge decision. Major questions are-
1)Which and how better are the universities in comparison to each other in teaching and practicals?

I don't know and who does? No one will have attended all those universities to give you an answer. Your best bet is looking at league tables. Here is one from 2018:
https://www.ukuni.net/uk-ranking/subject/aeronautical-and-manufacturing-engineering

League tables can often also be very misleading. Read the course content and structure to get a better idea of what each course entails and how much practical element is involved.

2) These are relatively mid level universities with mid range fees so does going for a university with x1.75-2 times the fees make a huge difference or does it depend on your performance?

No not necessarily. The most important thing is how you as an individual perform.

3) What are the employment scenarios in the Aero field after Covid. I am likely to complete in Jan 2022 so how likely and how good would be the job or internship opportunities then?

You will struggle to find employment in the UK. Many companies do not offer visas, those that do will be very competitive and covid-19 means jobs are scarce and more competitive than ever before. Aerospace industry itself is quite small and niche in comparison to other engineering fields, although it should be possible to apply for mechanical engineering roles in particular and sometimes other engineering fields.
1) Out of those three, Coventry has the stronger background in engineering

2) I'd say there are unis in the £22,000 range for tuition fees for which spending the extra would be worth it, but beyond that you are paying extra for the city that you'll be in.

3) It's difficult to say because of numerous things which are occurring now. The visa system is changing, which theoretically could make it easier for international students to stay here. The aero industry should start to pick back up by then in which case hiring will increase. Lots of investment is going into electric/hydrogen aerospace and wind energy in the UK so that is another potential source of jobs for aero grads. But as above, currently and previously the prospects for an international student to remain in the UK are poor.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending