HallieMarie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I've got a job which is 8 hours a week minimum (starting tomorrow). However, the issue is that it would take me nearly 2 hours and 30 mins to get home if given the late shift (of which I have been given both late shifts in the first week) because I am depending on public transport. When I applied, I said I was fully available (which I am), however I assumed the working day would be 8-5 and not 7-9. I also wasn't aware of disruptions to public transport. Basically, if I am given a Friday night shift-I am unable to get home until 6am the next morning. And I can't ask them for certain shifts now because I said that I am fully available. So I would have to depend on someone wanting to swap shifts. However, the only ones that are swappable are the morning ones (7am start) in which I would arrive 25 mins late. I'm just wondering where I stand with this because I am on Universal credit. I have an interview for a job which is a 20 walk from my house and that is also 8 hours. With that, I can also pick up extra shifts. Does anyone have any experience with this? If I got this other job, do I have a claim with universal credit that they would overlap and I wouldn't be able to do the other one? My other issue is, I messaged my work coach a week ago asking for a budgeting advance (£100 minimum to help me) because, tbh, I can't afford the public transport (£22.50 a week) when I don't get paid until December 31st. I would also use some of it for clothes for work which atm I don't have. There are also two other jobs I'm hopeful for and they are 16 hours, alongside a working from home job which is 37 hours. I just can't get a response. Do I phone the service centre?
Vexper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm sorry I'm just having a really hard time following this wall of text so will try and break it down and respond.

• You're starting a new job tomorrow, which is 8 working hours a week minimum.
  • Commute time to this job is dependent on when your shift is, ranging up to 2 and a half hours commute. It is also tricky to navigate your shift start times based on your commute. You assumed your shift schedule.

You are asking where you stand with this as you are on Universal Credit. This has nothing to do with Universal Credit, it's an employment related matter for you to solve so you can work shifts allocated to you. To ensure you are still able to attend appointments with your Work Coach, simply share your shift pattern with them and let them know of any immediate changes to this so they can book you in for dates when you're not on shift.

• You have an interview for a job which is a 20 minute walk from your house and that is also 8 working hours per week.
  • With this job you can pick up extra shifts (unsure if the same can be applied to the first job...?)
  • You seem to be asking if this will affect your Universal Credit if you pick up a second job - noting that 'I wouldn't be able to do the other one?'

Again that is not a Universal Credit problem, that is an employment related matter. If you can find a way to make two part-time jobs work at the same time, then good for you. If you're still not at a full work week, let your Work Coach know when you're available.

• You asked for a budgeting advance to help you for public transport. (£22.50 a week, I assume to start your new job)

This was a mistake, both on your behalf for requesting it - and for them allowing it. What your Work Coach should have done (and really still should, I would raise a complaint if they don't) is offer you help from the Flexible Support Fund. This is essentially a pot of money for local Jobcenters to dip into to pay for those 'initial' costs of helping a claimant secure employment. This could be for example, giving them a voucher to buy a set of work clothes, or covering a reasonable period of commute costs to cover that big hit you take initally where you're commuting but haven't been paid yet.

https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Your-Situ...e-Support-Fund

• There are other jobs you're hopeful for, 16 hours a piece, alongside a working from home job which is 37 hours.

I don't really know what you are wanting from this? You won't get sanctioned for leaving an 8 hour job for a 37 hour job.... you would need to clarify exactly what you want to know.
Last edited by Vexper; 1 month ago
route255
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I was wondering how the jobs affect UC, how much does UC go down when you take on a job?
HallieMarie
Rep:
?
(Original post by route255)
I was wondering how the jobs affect UC, how much does UC go down when you take on a job?
They take 63p out of every pound you earn I think
HallieMarie
Rep:
?
(Original post by Vexper)
I'm sorry I'm just having a really hard time following this wall of text so will try and break it down and respond.

• You're starting a new job tomorrow, which is 8 working hours a week minimum.
  • Commute time to this job is dependent on when your shift is, ranging up to 2 and a half hours commute. It is also tricky to navigate your shift start times based on your commute. You assumed your shift schedule.

You are asking where you stand with this as you are on Universal Credit. This has nothing to do with Universal Credit, it's an employment related matter for you to solve so you can work shifts allocated to you. To ensure you are still able to attend appointments with your Work Coach, simply share your shift pattern with them and let them know of any immediate changes to this so they can book you in for dates when you're not on shift.

• You have an interview for a job which is a 20 minute walk from your house and that is also 8 working hours per week.
  • With this job you can pick up extra shifts (unsure if the same can be applied to the first job...?)
  • You seem to be asking if this will affect your Universal Credit if you pick up a second job - noting that 'I wouldn't be able to do the other one?'

Again that is not a Universal Credit problem, that is an employment related matter. If you can find a way to make two part-time jobs work at the same time, then good for you. If you're still not at a full work week, let your Work Coach know when you're available.

• You asked for a budgeting advance to help you for public transport. (£22.50 a week, I assume to start your new job)

This was a mistake, both on your behalf for requesting it - and for them allowing it. What your Work Coach should have done (and really still should, I would raise a complaint if they don't) is offer you help from the Flexible Support Fund. This is essentially a pot of money for local Jobcenters to dip into to pay for those 'initial' costs of helping a claimant secure employment. This could be for example, giving them a voucher to buy a set of work clothes, or covering a reasonable period of commute costs to cover that big hit you take initally where you're commuting but haven't been paid yet.

https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Your-Situ...e-Support-Fund

• There are other jobs you're hopeful for, 16 hours a piece, alongside a working from home job which is 37 hours.

I don't really know what you are wanting from this? You won't get sanctioned for leaving an 8 hour job for a 37 hour job.... you would need to clarify exactly what you want to know.
My circumstances have changed from this message but basically I'm wondering- if I find a job where I live for the same hours that the other job is offering-would Universal credit penalise me for quitting the one to work for the other? All of the jobs require me to be flexible so I don't think I could make two work at the same time.
Vexper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by HallieMarie)
My circumstances have changed from this message but basically I'm wondering- if I find a job where I live for the same hours that the other job is offering-would Universal credit penalise me for quitting the one to work for the other? All of the jobs require me to be flexible so I don't think I could make two work at the same time.
No you’d be fine lol, if for example you leave a 10 hour per week job for a 10 hour per week job, there’s no difference. You might be better off in the 2nd one if there’s less commute
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (84)
18.63%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (128)
28.38%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (166)
36.81%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (59)
13.08%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (14)
3.1%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed