zarahh09
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have my French-speaking card exam tomorrow on La gastronomie Francaise.

Any help or advice, please?? I am so nervous
Anna Schoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ultrawaters982)
I have my French-speaking card exam tomorrow on La gastronomie Francaise.

Any help or advice, please?? I am so nervous
Being nervous before an oral exam is perfectly normal and your examiner will try to put you at ease - that is part of his job.

Dealing with nervousness at the last minute like this is difficult but there are a few things you can do:

- Tonight: Watch a French film or listen to a French podcast - nothing difficult, mind. This is to "get your ear in". If at all possible, try to have a French conversation with someone - maybe a classmate? Again, nothing difficult; it's just a matter of getting your brain used to hearing and speaking French.

- In the hour before the exam: go outside (for a walk if you can), breathe deeply, get oxygen into your system.

- When you get your card: note interesting vocabulary that comes to mind. If there are any guiding questions (you haven't mentioned which board you are doing, so I don't know) then think about how to answer these; if there are no guiding questions, try to put yourself in the examiner's position and think of the sort of questions he/she might ask. Personal input - your own experience and/or opinion - is highly rated so try to think of a way to get that in: maybe talk about food on a trip to France or some French food that you particularly like or dislike.

- And once in the exam room: take a deep breath when you sit down. Look at the examiner when you speak - this will make you appear more confident (even if you are terrified inside!). And avoid long silences. If you don't know how to respond to something, say so, rather than sitting there like a quaking jelly: for example: Je n'ai pas bien compris ce que vous voulez dire; Je ne sais pas, je n'y ai jamais pensé or even: Pardon, mais j'ai un trou de mémoire et j'ai oublié le mot pour... This way, you're getting some interesting structures and expressions in even if you're lost.

Bonne chance! And try to enjoy the experience if you can...
zarahh09
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Anna Schoon)
Being nervous before an oral exam is perfectly normal and your examiner will try to put you at ease - that is part of his job.

Dealing with nervousness at the last minute like this is difficult but there are a few things you can do:

- Tonight: Watch a French film or listen to a French podcast - nothing difficult, mind. This is to "get your ear in". If at all possible, try to have a French conversation with someone - maybe a classmate? Again, nothing difficult; it's just a matter of getting your brain used to hearing and speaking French.

- In the hour before the exam: go outside (for a walk if you can), breathe deeply, get oxygen into your system.

- When you get your card: note interesting vocabulary that comes to mind. If there are any guiding questions (you haven't mentioned which board you are doing, so I don't know) then think about how to answer these; if there are no guiding questions, try to put yourself in the examiner's position and think of the sort of questions he/she might ask. Personal input - your own experience and/or opinion - is highly rated so try to think of a way to get that in: maybe talk about food on a trip to France or some French food that you particularly like or dislike.

- And once in the exam room: take a deep breath when you sit down. Look at the examiner when you speak - this will make you appear more confident (even if you are terrified inside!). And avoid long silences. If you don't know how to respond to something, say so, rather than sitting there like a quaking jelly: for example: Je n'ai pas bien compris ce que vous voulez dire; Je ne sais pas, je n'y ai jamais pensé or even: Pardon, mais j'ai un trou de mémoire et j'ai oublié le mot pour... This way, you're getting some interesting structures and expressions in even if you're lost.

Bonne chance! And try to enjoy the experience if you can...
I have done my speaking. He said I did better than last time and I didn't stop anywhere. The only thing I am worried about is the fact he asked me a question and I talked about something else. I think he might lower my grade because of this
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (234)
56.52%
I don't have everything I need (180)
43.48%

Watched Threads