The Student Room Group

Hoping to return to University but it's not that straightforward ...

TLDR - I need to know where to find out what my course is worth in "points" not UCAS as they don't work with Foundation Degrees, so who decides on the magical points system?!

I decided to get off the carousel that has been my working life of going from one unfulfillling job to another and go back and finish what I started.

I attained a foundation degree back in 2009 (yes I'm old) and I was told in general this is worth 120 points, however, I have since had people question that as it was a 1 year degree and because it was so long ago.

After speaking with the Uni I am applying to they suggested the fast track course. Great stuff. I'm more than happy to start at the beginning but having written our a personal statement and filled in a form I was then told because I have a Foundation Degree that I can't go on a fast track course.

Damned if I do and damned if I don't it would seem.

I phoned my previous Uni who said they couldn't confirm the "points" but that they could send me out a certificate for £10.00. Fair enough but where do I find out if that piece of paper is worth what it is written on?

Any help greatly appreciated.
You don’t have a foundation degree. A FdA/FdSc is a 2 year qualification equivalent to an HND/DipHE/first 2 years of a 3 year degree.

It sounds like you either have a foundation YEAR (a year 0 on a degree course - these will not normally be a formal qualification as they’re not high enough credits for a university qualification but aren’t externally awarded like FE qualifications) or a foundation DIPLOMA (these are art & design qualifications that are FE qualifications and can have tariff points associated depending on the awarding body and level).

You need to speak to your old college/university and get an official transcript and certificate or enough information to find out exactly what course you studied.

It’s then down to individual universities to determine whether they will accept what you’ve done as enough for entry onto their degrees.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
You don’t have a foundation degree. A FdA/FdSc is a 2 year qualification equivalent to an HND/DipHE/first 2 years of a 3 year degree.

It sounds like you either have a foundation YEAR (a year 0 on a degree course - these will not normally be a formal qualification as they’re not high enough credits for a university qualification but aren’t externally awarded like FE qualifications) or a foundation DIPLOMA (these are art & design qualifications that are FE qualifications and can have tariff points associated depending on the awarding body and level).

You need to speak to your old college/university and get an official transcript and certificate or enough information to find out exactly what course you studied.

It’s then down to individual universities to determine whether they will accept what you’ve done as enough for entry onto their degrees.

I've not been able to speak with my old Uni but did explain this was the case to the new one and they seem to have accepted that explanation.

Thank you so much for your help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending