Would rather defer foundation training than leave London - what are my options?

Watch
Chikkinn
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm a 4th year on a 5 year course and may never need to worry about this issue, but I want to be prepared for the worst. I'm in my 30s now and have completely uprooted my life for my education several times, but now feel settled in London and have no intention of relocating again.

Naturally I'll be selecting the 3 London deaneries for the foundation programme. I assume you have to select a 4th and 5th deanery and can't just leave them blank (please correct me if I'm wrong), but I'd have no intention of leaving London if I bombed the SJT in any case. I'd rather wait a year and reapply but it's surprisingly hard to find out if that's an option, perhaps I'm using the wrong terminology. Can you simply take a year out after uni to reapply if you're not happy with your deanery? I'm single and have no kids or special circumstances that would keep me in London unless matched by the normal ranking process. I'm considering applying for the AFP, admittedly only for the control it would offer over where I live.

I'm serious enough about staying here and maintaining my social network that I'd consider leaving medicine if it would require me to relocate again. As far as career planning goes I'm fully committed to being a GP so don't anticipate having to worry about being forced to relocate again after FP, but I've come to appreciate that there are things more important to me than my job. Maybe this is incompatible with being a doctor but, if it isn't, I'd like to know how to navigate the foundation programme application process in the hypothetical situation above. Thank you!
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes you can apply again later. There is a time limit - you must start within 3 years I think.

Have you seen how big the South Thames deanery is? Or some of the commute times you may be facing even within NWT?
Chikkinn
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by nexttime)
Yes you can apply again later. There is a time limit - you must start within 3 years I think.

Have you seen how big the South Thames deanery is? Or some of the commute times you may be facing even within NWT?
Great to know, thank you. Yeah, I know commuting can be rubbish even within the London deaneries, but even throughout large stretches of South Thames I'd be within 1.5 hours of central London if I pick where I live intelligently. I'm not even bothered about moving property every few months, as long as I can maintain my local hobbies and relationships.
HHaricot
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yep, as said you can withdraw and reapply, but you may still not get london?
However, EBH has some v commutable hospitals- tho 1.5 hours isnt v commutable in practice when you are tired.
Maybe look at priority programmes as well as that nails the trust you are going to be in - which can be nice to know early.
Last edited by HHaricot; 1 month ago
Zitka
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by HHaricot)
Yep, as said you can withdraw and reapply, but you may still not get london?
However, EBH has some v commutable hospitals- tho 1.5 hours isnt v commutable in practice when you are tired.
Maybe look at priority programmes as well as that nails the trust you are going to be in - which can be nice to know early.
Agreed with HHaricot, there are deaneries surrounding London if you're happy to commute up to 1.5 hours.

If you reapply the following year, you'll have a similar score. Your decile and SJT score would stay the same. You wouldn't be able to complete another degree in the time between offers in March 2022 and reapplying in Nov 2022. So unless you had zero publications on your first application and then you publish two papers, there's a good chance that if you didn't get London the first time, you might not get it the second time.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (41)
18.39%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (63)
28.25%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (85)
38.12%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (29)
13%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.24%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed