fairly opem course that covers illustration, graphics , animation in big city?

Watch
soyp
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello. My A level results were Art A*, Biology A, Philosophy A. I plan to do either fine art, or some sort of graphic communication which hopefully involves illustration and animation. Oil painting and drawing comes naturally to me, though not much else, so i maybe limited in what is determined as fine art, plus I don't know many career paths to come out of it. Graphics seems much more applicable and practical. I only plan on going to a big city (London, Glasgow, Amsterdam or Rotterdam) though I am open to others. What courses do you suggest? Any advice would be great please

edit: forgot to say I'm currently doing a foundation diploma b for at and design, also graphics and typography are a strength.
Last edited by soyp; 1 month ago
DocBuss
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by soyp)
Hello. My A level results were Art A*, Biology A, Philosophy A. I plan to do either fine art, or some sort of graphic communication which hopefully involves illustration and animation. Oil painting and drawing comes naturally to me, though not much else, so i maybe limited in what is determined as fine art, plus I don't know many career paths to come out of it. Graphics seems much more applicable and practical. I only plan on going to a big city (London, Glasgow, Amsterdam or Rotterdam) though I am open to others. What courses do you suggest? Any advice would be great please
Studying abroad is an amazing opportunity so you should take it if you can! Have a look at reviews for different courses online!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by soyp)
I'd say from your strengths illustration or printmaking sound like they might be a good fit. You don't seem that interested in digital work or branding/typography so I'm not sure graphics would be a good option.
Manchester School of Art (in Man Met) might be a good shout (manchester is a bigger city than glasgow) https://www.art.mmu.ac.uk/illustration/
UAL and Kingston in London are worth a look. Ravensbourne are all digital so again might not be a good fit.
If you're looking for a very traditional but broad fine art degree (and have funds available to afford the fees) then City & Guilds is a very good london art school with excellent facilities https://www.cityandguildsartschool.ac.uk/ba-fine-art/ especially if you think you might want to work in 3d (sculture/wood/metal/glass)
GSA in Glasgow and ECA in Edinburgh have a range of courses but very limited capacity
Cardiff has University of South Wales with an excellent art school (offering illustration, animation and a bunch of other options).
Leeds Art University (or Leeds Beckett or Leeds University) is another art rich big city worth a look.

I would suggest that you look into taking a Foundation Diploma tbh - you seem quite vague about which direction to follow and a year experimenting and developing your portfolio will only be a benefit. There's more info here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5017684
Last edited by PQ; 1 month ago
soyp
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by PQ)
I'd say from your strengths illustration or printmaking sound like they might be a good fit. You don't seem that interested in digital work or branding/typography so I'm not sure graphics would be a good option.
Manchester School of Art (in Man Met) might be a good shout (manchester is a bigger city than glasgow) https://www.art.mmu.ac.uk/illustration/
UAL and Kingston in London are worth a look. Ravensbourne are all digital so again might not be a good fit.
If you're looking for a very traditional but broad fine art degree (and have funds available to afford the fees) then City & Guilds is a very good london art school with excellent facilities https://www.cityandguildsartschool.ac.uk/ba-fine-art/ especially if you think you might want to work in 3d (sculture/wood/metal/glass)
GSA in Glasgow and ECA in Edinburgh have a range of courses but very limited capacity
Cardiff has University of South Wales with an excellent art school (offering illustration, animation and a bunch of other options).
Leeds Art University (or Leeds Beckett or Leeds University) is another art rich big city worth a look.

I would suggest that you look into taking a Foundation Diploma tbh - you seem quite vague about which direction to follow and a year experimenting and developing your portfolio will only be a benefit. There's more info here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5017684
ah thanks so much for all the helpful links and summarising everything! I forgot to mention I'm currently doing a foundation diploma and I've just finished a graphics workshop! Typography is also a strength of mine.. I should've been less vague. I will look into your suggestions! thanks again.
insidedesigner
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Birmingham City might be worth considering. Some overlap between graphics and illustration, decent student work, Birmingham is massive!

UWE in Bristol is good for typography.

Sheffield Hallam has a great graphics course.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (127)
62.56%
I don't have everything I need (76)
37.44%

Watched Threads