bxckxx263
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
so i’ve picked international business as a degree but my parents are making me regret it, they keep on saying how it’s pointless and they’d rather me do an accounting and finance degree because of the good job prospects, and i wouldn’t mind doing but i literally know nothing about what’s taught in accounting and finance, and even after researching i don’t really understand what the topics mean. A part of me wants to pick accounting and finance to make my parents happy and so i know i’ll probably get a decent job in the future, but i’m scared i’ll hate it and basically waste 3 years plus money on it. soooo any help on what i should do? i do economies, psychology and geography as A levels and i did AS maths last year and got an A if that’s beneficial.
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My opinion is that it doesn’t really matter what you study at uni (for your first degree), other than you should choose something that you would like. Accounting is a good career, bit boring, lots of hotel nights in random places, but does pay the bills, but dull.

International Business, as a Bachelor - well, you could go and do a Masters or an MBA later, or get any job where the entry is “a degree”, and there are quite a few of those.

The ‘university degree’ thing, is all about you teaching yourself how to study (much less tutor contact than at 6th form/college) and preparing you for a job, where regularly complicated things appear, that need a self-driven study success.

Here’s a website that might help in choosing https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-leve...ychology?o=021
(I didn’t add your AS Maths A, but that will help you in your applications)
AndyChow
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Your parents are right, vocational degrees are far superior in this era.

But this is TheStudentRoom, it's an echo chamber of 17yo's who still believe in the nonsense that 'subject doesn't matter', 'It's all about learning the soft skills'. #2 is such an archetype. I don't need to wait long for people here to start bashing me. 'Most jobs don't specify a degree' is the biggest BS propagated in this forum. Yes, a lot of graduate schemes don't specify a degree but those schemes have 1000+ candidates fighting over 5 places, it's always a low probability game when you go outside your field of study.

Just do your own research, read articles about graduate employment and soon you will realize a lot of Mickey Mouse degrees worth less than the paper they are written on.
Last edited by AndyChow; 1 month ago
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by bxckxx263)
so i’ve picked international business as a degree but my parents are making me regret it, they keep on saying how it’s pointless and they’d rather me do an accounting and finance degree because of the good job prospects, and i wouldn’t mind doing but i literally know nothing about what’s taught in accounting and finance, and even after researching i don’t really understand what the topics mean. A part of me wants to pick accounting and finance to make my parents happy and so i know i’ll probably get a decent job in the future, but i’m scared i’ll hate it and basically waste 3 years plus money on it. soooo any help on what i should do? i do economies, psychology and geography as A levels and i did AS maths last year and got an A if that’s beneficial.
Hi!

I would take what you think you would enjoy most. Maybe try and contact the universities you would like to apply to and ask what they teach in their modules and what former students in that subject have gone into career-wise. They might also provide you some more details about future career prospects. Also, I think your current subjects would flow nicely into international business.

I hope this helps!
Chloe - Official Student Rep
LuigiMario
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’d also echo what AndyChow said above, as I work in an international scientific research centre, many of my newly recruited colleagues have doctorates in science or environmental engineering. That’s a great career path. They are not ‘Micky-mousey’ degrees, everyone has a beard & ruffled clothes, acquired over many years of study. Several percent of UK students ought to apply for international research, brits are great at this.

But, if you are not that fussed with STEM subjects, then there is a path to become a manager in central London for a Uniqlo store, by taking ‘any degree’ and working hard. The entrance exams and interview for the international business, started in Yamaguchi, Japan in 1949, are hard - need the right sort of student; Who might understand international business, and has a clue.

Uniqlo; your first lesson in international business
https://martinroll.com/resources/art...-retail-brand/
Last edited by LuigiMario; 1 month ago
bxckxx263
Rep:
?
(Original post by LuigiMario)
My opinion is that it doesn’t really matter what you study at uni (for your first degree), other than you should choose something that you would like. Accounting is a good career, bit boring, lots of hotel nights in random places, but does pay the bills, but dull.

International Business, as a Bachelor - well, you could go and do a Masters or an MBA later, or get any job where the entry is “a degree”, and there are quite a few of those.

The ‘university degree’ thing, is all about you teaching yourself how to study (much less tutor contact than at 6th form/college) and preparing you for a job, where regularly complicated things appear, that need a self-driven study success.

Here’s a website that might help in choosing https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-leve...ychology?o=021
(I didn’t add your AS Maths A, but that will help you in your applications)
thank you!!!
bxckxx263
Rep:
?
an update if anyone sees this but after researching jobs i think i may be interested in audit/tax which (i think??) would need an accounting and finance degree, so now i’m even more confused
LuigiMario
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by bxckxx263)
an update if anyone sees this but after researching jobs i think i may be interested in audit/tax which (i think??) would need an accounting and finance degree, so now i’m even more confused
The quote from uni of Portsmouth “ask what they teach in their modules” is an important idea, as quite a few courses allow you to choose speciality modules in focussed things like audit processes and tax and many other things.... a sort of freeform degree, with much user study choice. I noticed that quite a lot of British university courses, with nominally the same course codes & course name, can have quite different objectives & actual areas of study covered.

In previous years, you’d have twenty paper prospectuses in front-of-you, now, you’ll have to find twenty massive (high + detail, high granularity of course-info) pdf’s for finance courses & compare them all, make an excel spreadsheet for comparisons. Choose those that do tax & mention auditing.

(My research department was recently (scientifically) audited to an iso/iec17025 standard)
It was scary, but we passed.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (20)
13.42%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (41)
27.52%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (61)
40.94%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (23)
15.44%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
2.68%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed