What smartphone brands collect user data?

Watch
2003a39
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Other than Samsung, Xiaomi and Huawei. I know that Google and Nokia don't but unsure about Motorola and Sony, even though their OS is quite stock. I'd appreciate a short list.
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 2003a39)
Other than Samsung, Xiaomi and Huawei. I know that Google and Nokia don't but unsure about Motorola and Sony, even though their OS is quite stock. I'd appreciate a short list.
Here's a list of all brands that do not collect user data, including the ones you've mentioned:
2003a39
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gofre)
Here's a list of all brands that do not collect user data, including the ones you've mentioned:
I'm pretty sure Oppo, Vivo etc. do since they're usually cheaper than the brands that don't. I just found out that Samsung do, and I have a Samsung, I prefer having less companies collecting my data.
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm pretty sure Oppo etc. do since they're usually cheaper than the brands that don't.
I think you missed the joke, they all collect user data. The question is just how much they collect and what they do with it.
A_J_B
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
"I know that Google and Nokia don't"
Lol
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
...I prefer having less companies collecting my data.
Then I would suggest living like a nomad in the Amazon rainforest.

Every single landline phone / mobile phone / computer / tech company collect your data. Every. Single. One.

Here's your data-privacy-friendly Google.

Last edited by ecolier; 1 month ago
2003a39
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gofre)
I think you missed the joke, they all collect user data. The question is just how much they collect and what they do with it.
Oh, I know data collection is inevitable but I'm sure there are options to reduce what they collect, I'm guessing that the brands that have accounts, e.g. Huawei ID collect the most. Planning to delete my Samsung account.
2003a39
Rep:
?
(Original post by A_J_B)
"I know that Google and Nokia don't"
Lol
Could have worded it better. I meant it in the way Xiaomi does: “The device was also recording what folders he opened and to which screens he swiped, including the status bar and the settings page.” - Forbes. I don't want that. I don't use Google services other than Maps on my phone and I don't have an account linked to it so they can't identify me, ad personalization and all app permissions are also turned off.
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oh, I know data collection is inevitable but I'm sure there are options to reduce what they collect, I'm sure the brands that have accounts, e.g. Huawei ID collect the most. Planning to delete my Samsung account.
Any stuff you can disable is window dressing, they're getting the good stuff whether you like it or not. The sad reality is that our data is basically a buffet for big tech now, and no brand is going to approach this more ethically than any other beyond puddle-deep platitudes. You're better off looking at custom ROMs focussed on privacy then finding the best handset that you can load it onto, or just going back to the 3310 days where there's simply nothing you can do on it worth tracking.
2003a39
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
Then I would suggest living like a nomad in the Amazon rainforest.

Every single landline phone / mobile phone / computer / tech company collect your data. Every. Single. One.

Here's your data-privacy-friendly Google.

I don't like Google, but at least they don't go to Xiaomi levels of data collection in the UI. Can you link me proof of more data collection on landline phones etc.
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
...Can you link me proof of more data collection on landline phones etc.
Have you signed up for a landline phone recently? Or even have a BT account?
2003a39
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gofre)
Any stuff you can disable is window dressing, they're getting the good stuff whether you like it or not. The sad reality is that our data is basically a buffet for big tech now, and no brand is going to approach this more ethically than any other beyond puddle-deep platitudes. You're better off looking at custom ROMs focussed on privacy then finding the best handset that you can load it onto, or just going back to the 3310 days where there's simply nothing you can do on it worth tracking.
Yeah, I'll deffo have a look at some custom ROM's, totally forgot about those. Is there any point in trying to increase privacy in your opinion? As long as I'm not being listened to, I'm ok-ish.
2003a39
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
Have you signed up for a landline phone recently? Or even have a BT account?
No, I still live with my parents (I'm 17). We have TalkTalk, they all collect cookies obviously.
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah, I'll deffo have a look at some custom ROM's, totally forgot about those. Is there any point in trying to increase privacy in your opinion? As long as I'm not being listened to, I'm ok-ish.
Personally, I think trying to pursue true digital privacy through our choice of consumer products is a futile endeavour. Your data is going into other people's hands no matter what you do, just remember that none of them give a sh*t about you as an individual.
2003a39
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gofre)
Personally, I think trying to pursue true digital privacy through our choice of consumer products is a futile endeavour. Your data is going into other people's hands no matter what you do, just remember that none of them give a sh*t about you as an individual.
Here's a summary of what I do:
I mainly don't want companies to know what I search which is why I use Qwant instead of Google, I use Firefox and set my browser to not allow Third-Party cookies, I also manage cookies in every site I visit except the sites where you can't. The only social media sites I use are YouTube and TSR. Social Media apps I use are Snapchat,Telegram and Whatsapp. I have a Microsoft Account, Sony Account, Google Account with all the ad and cookie settings altered.

Am I going overboard since I don't want to be physically heard (except recorded calls since you're notified of that), I don't want my searches to be seen and I don't want my potentially private messages and calls to be seen or heard by the companies e.g. Whatsapp (my dad is forcing me to use it), Telegram? That's all the privacy I really need.

Does Whatsapp (Facebook) listen in on your calls and texts even though they're "end-to-end encrypted?"
williamho
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Google , Facebook collects data

and even the land lines

remember how Obama listened in on Angela Merkel : search on the internet for the secret US air base in the UK , Menwith Hill Camp
it is close than you think
2003a39
Rep:
?
(Original post by williamho)
Google , Facebook collects data

and even the land lines

remember how Obama listened in on Angela Merkel : search on the internet for the secret US air base in the UK , Menwith Hill Camp
it is close than you think
So data collection is inevitable? I don't want to be physically heard or have my texts and calls seen/heard on something like Whatsapp.
A_J_B
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So data collection is inevitable?
Yes, did you think otherwise?
2003a39
Rep:
?
(Original post by A_J_B)
Yes, did you think otherwise?
No, just thought it wasn't a thing on offline things.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (32)
16.08%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (60)
30.15%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (76)
38.19%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (26)
13.07%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.51%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise