Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Munshi was convicted last month of making a record of information likely to be used for terrorist purposes, but cleared of possessing terrorist material.
    Munshi was convicted last month of making a record of information likely to be used for terrorist purposes

How can we pretend that we live in a free country ?

This is ridiculous.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7625041.stm

Next up, we have this story -

A postgraduate student researching al-Qaida, I was locked up alone for six days, then released without charge or apology
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...rity.terrorism

And...

On May 14 I was arrested under section 41 of the Terrorism Act - on suspicion of the "instigation, preparation and commission of acts of terrorism"
    triggered by the presence on my University of Nottingham office computer of an equally absurd document called the "al-Qaida Training Manual", a declassified open-source document that I had never read and had completely forgotten about since it had been sent to me months before.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...civilliberties

ReputationRep:
    Oh give over. It's not realistic to be completely free. If that was so then we'd have chaos. Live with it man -_-

ReputationRep:
    do you by any chance frequent the site www.trolltothemax.com ?

ReputationRep:
    His point is entirely valid. Anybody attempting to call him a troll for this thread is a complete tool.

But yes, I agree. Locking people away for possessing 'information' which could potentially inform someone on how to do criminal acts, despite not having committed or having any will to commit them, is the sort of road-to-fascism legislation that I've come to expect from the current Labour government. I just wonder how soon 'terrorist' paraphernalia will morph into 'anti-State', and will be summarily followed by a hasty book burning session orchestrated by our Dear Leader.

ReputationRep:
    what is your problem? just go away...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MacGuffin)
    Oh give over. It's not realistic to be completely free. If that was so then we'd have chaos. Live with it man -_-
    'Tolerance And Apathy Are The Last Virtues Of A Dying Society' - Aristotle

ReputationRep:
    I think terrorists should be dealt with properly, but if anyone seriously thinks a 16 year old downloading how to make napalm is a terrorist - they should realise that the real terrorists are the one who used it all over the jungles of Vietnam.

ReputationRep:
    Freedom is an illusion. The biggest achievement of the West is convincing its people they are 'truly free'.

Ultimate freedom is possible, but not within this current system, unfortunately, which leaves us with three options: ignore the fact that we are not free and settle for this life, change the system from within to moderately improve our lot or live outside of this system.

ReputationRep:
    It's the daily 'WOLLSMOTH' Thread

You are right for once, although I don't see the point of the thread. If you have only just realised that we are not free (something most people know but don't do anything about) then where have you been for the last lifetime?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WOLLSMOTH)
    'Tolerance And Apathy Are The Last Virtues Of A Dying Society' - Aristotle
    Quoting philosophers isn't going to make reality go away. The world needs restraint to a certain degree. You obey the law don't you? If you really want 'liberty' then you must take that away. What do you have then? Will philosophy save you when someone on the street stabs you to death for no reason?

ReputationRep:
    Munshi was convicted last month of making a record of information likely to be used for terrorist purposes
    The approach the authorities are taking is a "better safe than sorry" approach.

How can we pretend that we live in a free country ?
    you should move to somewhere like north Korea, or China then, if you think you're so hard off :laughing:

This is ridiculous.
    thats REAL life my friend, better get over it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by punktopia)
    Freedom is an illusion. The biggest achievement of the West is convincing its people they are 'truly free'.

Ultimate freedom is possible, but not within this current system, unfortunately, which leaves us with three options: ignore the fact that we are not free and settle for this life, change the system from within to moderately improve our lot or live outside of this system.
    Indeed. Though it depends on your view of freedom; being an anarchist, I would assume your definition is merely freedom from coercion.

ReputationRep:
    Quoting philosophers isn't going to make reality go away. The world needs restraint to a certain degree. You obey the law don't you? If you really want 'liberty' then you must take that away. What do you have then? Will philosophy save you when someone on the street stabs you to death for no reason?
    What you're saying is correct however it doesn't apply in this situation, you're talking about the idea of "total freedom" which noone seriously supports but he's talking about "thought freedom" which almost everybody but the labour government seriously supports.

He's not saying we should legalise murder; he is saying that detaining people without reason contradicts the fundemental ideology of our justice system - innocent until proven guilty.

It is a valid point and not something to shrug your shoulders at.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    He's not saying we should legalise murder; he is saying that detaining people without reason contradicts the fundemental ideology of our justice system - innocent until proven guilty.

It is a valid point and not something to shrug your shoulders at.
    Sure, innocent until proven guilty is a fine concept in most situations but it doesn't encompass all situations. Terrorists will seize any opportunity you give them to cause pain and misery. With the amount of time you require to prove guilt, scores of people will have died. Why not catch them before they strike? The suspects may well be innocent but then again they may well be guilty. Assuming guilt and acting quickly is much safer for us the general public.

ReputationRep:
    Get over it. Of course we have freedom.

The Jews didn't have liberties in WWII. We do.

ReputationRep:
    Sure, innocent until proven guilty is a fine concept in most situations but it doesn't encompass all situations. Terrorists will seize any opportunity you give them to cause pain and misery. With the amount of time you require to prove guilt, scores of people will have died. Why not catch them before they strike? The suspects may well be innocent but then again they may well be guilty. Assuming guilt and acting quickly is much safer for us the general public.
    You can be proven guilty of intent and planning to do a crime without actually having done the crime and I don't think anyone has a problem with that, it's just that this syste, seems to have gone too far into " possession of any material relating to these sources or links to them is in itself a crime"

I disagree; there are better ways to combat terrorism than for the government to breach peoples human rights.

ReputationRep:
    Leviathan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k9ruby)
    Get over it. Of course we have freedom.

The Jews didn't have liberties in WWII. We do.
    Lol. I can't believe you just said that.

What is wrong with you?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.