The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I laugh when I think Aberystwyth's bars have names like "Pier Pressure" and "Y-Knot" for students, kinda underlines the whole drink culture.

But it's also good to experience things at least once. Limiting yourself to your comfort zone everyday of your life can be just as bad as ruining yourself drinking every night.

"Do something every day that scares you."

Sometimes those things that scare you could be going to a bar or club with some mates and just trying it. Don't do it for the sake of doing it, really see if you despise it or not. And don't turn your nose up to these things, because eventually the opertunities fade.

I think the main issue is that if you aren't repulsed by culture's drinking emphasis, you can find something in it to enjoy. otherwise, it's up to you to know yourself well enough to say yes or no to these things. Cos every time, every moment is different.
Reply 81
T.K.B
Dammm- I soooooo want to AVOID going to all these club/bar events during freshers week :o: ....since Im really not into clubbing/partying AT ALLLLL. Im being serious- the last time I went to a nightclub was probably two years ago!! :p: But now I'll be in UCL....one of the great london unis that feature these freshers week club events in a colourful way (lol- I recieved the freshers week event brochures by post before my enrolment letter...so i kinda assume freshers week is a biggger deal :p: ). and so- I think its gonna be realllly difficult for me to find anyone like me(a non-clubber) in my course/student house :s-smilie: jus gonna have to keep my fingers crossed :frown:

What halls are you in, fellow UCL-goer?
Reply 82
prospectivEEconomist
Girls like you intimidate me. :o:

you sound like a bit of a vagine tbh tho
alex_hk90
But I only have Mankiw and Taylor's "Macroeconomics". :frown: :p:

Bring that one too! I've also got: Macroeconomics (The Addison-Wesley Series in Economics) by Robert J. Gordon. Hardcover [it's better that way!].
So that's 3 different textbooks [any more suggestions?!]. It's always good to look at the different perspectives - I'm sure they'll always arrive at a similar conclusion though. It's just that some decide to fly there and some take the train or whatever...[terrible explanation that..:o: ]
Reply 84
oof, i'm the same as you, although i haven't started uni yet (freshers week soon)

i'm so scared everyone is just gonna go off and go clubbing, drink, etc. leaving me.

it's not that i hate those things. i just find them uninteresting.
the thing is, if you don't drink, or go clubbing, i find a lot of people automatically class me as boring and don't talk to me. errrrrr.
Reply 85
Do not drink two bottle of 700ml of rum, in less than an hour it will drive you mad.
Eternity Forever
Bring that one too! I've also got: Macroeconomics (The Addison-Wesley Series in Economics) by Robert J. Gordon. Hardcover [it's better that way!].
So that's 3 different textbooks [any more suggestions?!]. It's always good to look at the different perspectives - I'm sure they'll always arrive at a similar conclusion though. It's just that some decide to fly there and some take the train or whatever...[terrible explanation that..:o: ]

You own me tbh. Your presence (in real life ) would cause me to tremble.
prospectivEEconomist
You are putting me to shame. I haven't read any uni economics book yet :o:

Do they not have the main texts up on the website?:smile:
Reply 88
bkcr20
What halls are you in, fellow UCL-goer?

Goldsmid House
Eternity Forever
Do they not have the main texts up on the website?:smile:

I did read the first half of Morgans Microeconomics, but thats about it im afraid.
Reply 90
nanodesu
the thing is, if you don't drink, or go clubbing, i find a lot of people automatically class me as boring and don't talk to me. errrrrr.

Yeah that's true.
tw7055
you sound like a bit of a vagine tbh tho

:o:
prospectivEEconomist

Don't be silly. I'm sure you'll get back into it when you move in on Sunday!
Reply 93
prospectivEEconomist

You're embarrassing.
This is an online forum, not a dating website.
Shryke
If you go out of your way to talk to tons of people who you don't know at clubs, then it gets better every time you go. I remember that at the start of university, I used to be quiet and reserved at clubs. I didn't see what the fuss was about because I was always really bored. Turns out that if you just bounce around and chat to strangers every time you go, more and more people will recognise you and stop to talk.

You know you're having a terrible night when your friends are standing in some kind of circle awkwardly dancing and trying to communicate over the loud music. It makes me despair when I see this, there's not much worse than public displays of lack of confidence. If you truly have no confidence in talking to strangers, then get over yourself, and just try it, and smile. If you can't see yourself ever doing this, why bother going to clubs? You can drink cheaper at home, and turn the music to the right level for a sophisticated conversation.

Don't let a few bad experiences put you off, every city I've visited has its place where the people and the atmosphere are suited to you, you just have to find it. You've got the rest of your life for watching films and going for walks, so make the most of being able to look young and pretty while you still can, or you might well regret it one day.

this happend to me, went to the leaving do for high school, dancing on the floor, drinking, having a meal

But I was embaressed self concious all the way through, and thinking about how I seemed to over people just makes me cringe every time I think about it.. .:frown: :s-smilie:

I never do this kind of thing, and just looked like an idiot because I was so self concious
prospectivEEconomist
I did read the first half of Morgans Microeconomics, but thats about it im afraid.

Microeconomics in the morning, after that orange juice you were talking about.:smile:
Reply 96
T.K.B
Goldsmid House

Ah, ok, I'm in James Lighthill.
Reply 97
fxytimi
Haha the irony in that! Orange juice and Cranberry juice is just as sugar. But beer sucks, it only kinds tastes nice when its cold.

you don't get cold beer. its called lager
Reply 98
nanodesu
it's not that i hate those things. i just find them uninteresting.

:ditto:
Reply 99
tw7055
you don't get cold beer. its called lager

You do get cold beer, it's called lager. Lager is a type of beer.

Latest

Trending

Trending