Dropping out of University and reapplying

Watch
Ruh4nr
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I currently study at Imperial doing Civil Engineering but i realised i don't like this course anymore and have been thinking of dropping out and reapplying through UCAS to study computer science/computational maths. However, im worried to as how it would look as it may seem weird dropping out of one of the top universities and there's a good chance that i wont get to a uni thats the same level as imperial.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ruh4nr)
I currently study at Imperial doing Civil Engineering but i realised i don't like this course anymore and have been thinking of dropping out and reapplying through UCAS to study computer science/computational maths. However, im worried to as how it would look as it may seem weird dropping out of one of the top universities and there's a good chance that i wont get to a uni thats the same level as imperial.
Do Imperial have any similar courses? If so do an internal transfer.
Have you identified the unis that have the course you want?

Dont think dropping out is relevant plus you cna say why and that it wasnt for performance related things.
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Its not uncommon at all so won't look weird to any universities you apply to.
Ruh4nr
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Do Imperial have any similar courses? If so do an internal transfer.
Have you identified the unis that have the course you want?

Dont think dropping out is relevant plus you cna say why and that it wasnt for performance related things.
I wanted to transfer to Computer science within Imperial but I would still have to go through same application process as UCAS but I wouldn’t apply within UCAS but instead apply within the uni if that makes sense. In terms of unis I’ve been looking at Imperial,UCL and Kings for computer science and UCL again for computational maths which I’m considering applying for
gorilla_08
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I wanted to transfer to Computer science within Imperial but I would still have to go through same application process as UCAS but I wouldn’t apply within UCAS but instead apply within the uni if that makes sense. In terms of unis I’ve been looking at Imperial,UCL and Kings for computer science and UCL again for computational maths which I’m considering applying for
imperial computer science is like oxbridge level competitive, probably more lol
999tigger
Report 1 month ago
Just talk to your tutor and sound out CS course leader/ dept at imperial. Whether you can apply internally or have to go through UCAS, then you can still establish a competitive advantage.
Ruh4nr
Rep:
?
Just talk to your tutor and sound out CS course leader/ dept at imperial. Whether you can apply internally or have to go through UCAS, then you can still establish a competitive advantage.
Yeah I understand what u mean, I just wanted to post this to see if what I’m thinking sounds stupid at all or not. Because I don’t want to spend the next couple of years studying something that I won’t be passionate about and if I had a chance of switching courses whilst having a gap year to do something I’m interested in
999tigger
Report 1 month ago
Yeah I understand what u mean, I just wanted to post this to see if what I’m thinking sounds stupid at all or not. Because I don’t want to spend the next couple of years studying something that I won’t be passionate about and if I had a chance of switching courses whilst having a gap year to do something I’m interested in
Yes ofc it is.
The only thing making you hang on is because its Imperial.
You have one chance to change with finance, so its silly to sleepwalk into a degree or career you realise you dont want.
Uni has three principle aspects 1. The degree 2. Social experience and 3 Cost of living. If the course isnt for you then id the one that is.
peakyblinder
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I reapplied this application cycle (already sent the application because I applied to Oxford) and I'm currently at Cambridge lol.
I faced the same dilemma this summer as you're facing now. Can you not reapply while staying on the course you're currently doing, and only drop out if something better comes along?
Ruh4nr
Rep:
?
(Original post by peakyblinder)
I reapplied this application cycle (already sent the application because I applied to Oxford) and I'm currently at Cambridge lol.
I faced the same dilemma this summer as you're facing now. Can you not reapply while staying on the course you're currently doing, and only drop out if something better comes along?
Technically I can still continue for the first year and still apply for computer science internally and/or with ucas as well and then leave at the end of first year to then study computer science depending on the offers i get. This is probably the ultimate safest option but then at the same time if im coming to the conclusion that i want to leave to do computer science doing it now rather than later would mean i wont need to study and do a lot of assignments for modules which i know ill be dropping if you get what i mean.
Ruh4nr
Rep:
?
Yes ofc it is.
The only thing making you hang on is because its Imperial.
You have one chance to change with finance, so its silly to sleepwalk into a degree or career you realise you dont want.
Uni has three principle aspects 1. The degree 2. Social experience and 3 Cost of living. If the course isnt for you then id the one that is.
Yeah i get what u mean,if i was at a different uni i defo wouldve left by now, its just that Imperial is a top uni and thats why im probably still sticking it out for now. and yeah realistically i know i should do a degree where i know it will lead to a direct career paths instead of doing a degree that doesnt.
peakyblinder
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Technically I can still continue for the first year and still apply for computer science internally and/or with ucas as well and then leave at the end of first year to then study computer science depending on the offers i get. This is probably the ultimate safest option but then at the same time if im coming to the conclusion that i want to leave to do computer science doing it now rather than later would mean i wont need to study and do a lot of assignments for modules which i know ill be dropping if you get what i mean.
Well speaking from the experience I gained today: hanging on is worth it. You can't be sure you'll get another place at a uni you actually want to go to, so I would highly recommend you hang on at Imperial until you've found something you're sure is an upgrade. Yes, doing the work you dislike is annoying, but I would say it's a price worth paying.
Ruh4nr
Rep:
?
(Original post by peakyblinder)
Well speaking from the experience I gained today: hanging on is worth it. You can't be sure you'll get another place at a uni you actually want to go to, so I would highly recommend you hang on at Imperial until you've found something you're sure is an upgrade. Yes, doing the work you dislike is annoying, but I would say it's a price worth paying.
Yeah completely understandable, could I ask how come u wanna switch to Oxford from Cambridge and what course ur doing?
999tigger
Report 1 month ago
Yeah i get what u mean,if i was at a different uni i defo wouldve left by now, its just that Imperial is a top uni and thats why im probably still sticking it out for now. and yeah realistically i know i should do a degree where i know it will lead to a direct career paths instead of doing a degree that doesnt.
You are in danger of walking round in circles.
Work out what your priorities are and then follow the plan.
At some stage you will have to make a choiuce although in this situation you cna follow both an internal and external course. GL.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (83)
18.61%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (125)
28.03%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (166)
37.22%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (58)
13%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (14)
3.14%

Watched Threads