Can I start learning Mandarin for GCSE even though I have never learnt it before?

Watch
rkrklol
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have been learning French since I was in year 7 and I'm in year 10 now but I would like to start learning Mandarin as a language for GCSE instead of French because I would just prefer it.
I have never learnt any Mandarin before though so would it be a good idea?
Does the GCSE build off what you have learnt in the past in lower school or does it start from the very beginning with things like "Hi my name is" kind of thing.
What I'm trying to say is, do I need any past experience with the language to learn it for GCSE ?
rkrklol
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by rkrklol)
I have been learning French since I was in year 7 and I'm in year 10 now but I would like to start learning Mandarin as a language for GCSE instead of French because I would just prefer it.
I have never learnt any Mandarin before though so would it be a good idea?
Does the GCSE build off what you have learnt in the past in lower school or does it start from the very beginning with things like "Hi my name is" kind of thing.
What I'm trying to say is, do I need any past experience with the language to learn it for GCSE ?
I forgot to add - I also speak Tagalog and was quite good at French so I am dedicated to learning languages and I'm willing to put the effort in.
hootdoot04
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by rkrklol)
I forgot to add - I also speak Tagalog and was quite good at French so I am dedicated to learning languages and I'm willing to put the effort in.
Unfortunately there’s no Tagalog GCSE
hootdoot04
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My advice would be to speak to the MFL head of department. You can pay for tutors etc but they (MFL HOD) would need to arrange so you can sit the exam.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (20)
13.16%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (42)
27.63%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (63)
41.45%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (23)
15.13%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
2.63%

Watched Threads