jemimabrown11
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I want to do a philosophy degree but do English, Maths and 2 sciences at a level. I ideally want to go to Cambridge or at least give it my best shot, and then go to St Andrew's or UCL or Bristol. I am currently in year 12.
I'm wondering what books to read or things to do to write about and expand my knowledge and interest in philosophy and shape my views more. I currently do debating but there is no philosophy society at school. I have read one philosophical book and have ordered Meditations and Beyond Good and Evil - I feel like these are quite ambitious at the moment but I will plough through them.
And really if it's viable with the subjects I do - philosophy is fairly analytical and I have an essay subject?
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's viable but Cantab will likely want to see a bit more from you to 'prove' your interest. Meditations is not ambitious, don't sell yourself short - it is a great route in, as is some Plato. No need to read the Republic, but you could have a look at some of his shorter dialogues. Nietzsche can be confusing at first, but just see how you get on!

Have a look at some Nigel Warburton stuff, too. His entry level books are great
jemimabrown11
Rep:
?
Thank you @gjd800
I'm wondering what you mean by - 'Cantab will likely... your interest', besides reading and analysing and developing opinions on these texts, what else would you recommend? I am going to do a few MOOCs.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jemimabrown11)
Thank you @gjd800
I'm wondering what you mean by - 'Cantab will likely... your interest', besides reading and analysing and developing opinions on these texts, what else would you recommend? I am going to do a few MOOCs.
They are really keen on you having the potential to do well (think well, really) so your subjects aren't a barrier, but you will just need to read a bit more than you would have to for other universities offering a phil course.

As I say, I don't think the stuff you have ordered is beyond you at all! Just go at it with a critical eye and see what you make of it. Feel free to tag me in on here if you have specific questions: I hold a PhD in philosophy, spent the past 5 years teaching it in universities, and now teach religion and phil in schools. If I can be of use for questions, clarifications when you are reading this stuff etc then let me know
jemimabrown11
Rep:
?
thank you so much I will message you with any questions I have
UoB - Arts and Law
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi jemimabrown11,

I just wanted to point you towards our Philosophy Recommends page as there is some content on there which you might find useful.

The fist part of the page is non-academic Philosophy related recommendations, however if you go down to the bottom of the page and click on the dropdown there is a sample from our year one reading list. These are academic resources which you might find a little more challenging, however they should be a good place to start in terms of thinking critically.

Good luck! - Molly
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (75)
17.81%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (121)
28.74%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (160)
38%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (52)
12.35%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (13)
3.09%

Watched Threads