Medb
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I’m looking at studying zoology for my degree. I’ve already done quite a bit of research, but I thought it might be worth asking on here. At the moment I’m trying to finalise my final 5. My top three are Sheffield, Exeter, and St Andrews, and I’m thinking about Bristol, Lancaster, Glasgow, Bangor, Reading and Swansea. I’m limited in that I’m studying a Biomedical Access to HE diploma, not A levels. Most unis seem to accept this, except for obviously Oxbridge and some of the London unis. I’m particularly interested in subjects such entomology and herpetology (although it’s hard to find Unis that offer modules in herpetology?), large predators etc. Bangor interested me quite a bit because they have a good herpetology department and a venom room, but their ranking in biological sciences is low which put me off. Bristol I’ve been told is good and it’s local, but I’m put off by their lack of international field courses and the student support. If there’s anyone studying zoology or has experience in the field I’d appreciate your thoughts on this!
UniofReading
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Medb)
Hi, I’m looking at studying zoology for my degree. I’ve already done quite a bit of research, but I thought it might be worth asking on here. At the moment I’m trying to finalise my final 5. My top three are Sheffield, Exeter, and St Andrews, and I’m thinking about Bristol, Lancaster, Glasgow, Bangor, Reading and Swansea. I’m limited in that I’m studying a Biomedical Access to HE diploma, not A levels. Most unis seem to accept this, except for obviously Oxbridge and some of the London unis. I’m particularly interested in subjects such entomology and herpetology (although it’s hard to find Unis that offer modules in herpetology?), large predators etc. Bangor interested me quite a bit because they have a good herpetology department and a venom room, but their ranking in biological sciences is low which put me off. Bristol I’ve been told is good and it’s local, but I’m put off by their lack of international field courses and the student support. If there’s anyone studying zoology or has experience in the field I’d appreciate your thoughts on this!
Hi Medb,

Whilst I don't study zoology, Jessica on unibuddy does. She's a 3rd year student who also volunteers at our very own museum - The Cole Museum. It is also used extensively during the Zoology degree. You can speak to Jessica here: https://www.reading.ac.uk/about/chat...-students.aspx
In addition to that, we have fantastic facilities with a new Health and Life Sciences building.

Here you can also see what we have to offer at Reading University in terms of the modules available etc https://www.reading.ac.uk/biological...-homepage.aspx

Hope this helps you and feel free to let us know if you do have any questions!
From,

Amina 😊
Kerzen
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Does UCL offer a suitable course? I think that it has a link to the Zoo.

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/
Bangor Uni
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Medb)
Hi there,

It's fantastic to see that you've done so much research, it's a big decision so you want to make sure you're making the right choice!
We have a Virtual Open Day on the 6th of December, you can register online here. You'll get the opportunity to ask questions to lecturers about the courses but also learn a bit more about Bangor and the area, student life and accommodation.
But if you can't wait until then, you can chat to students and staff from the School of Natural Sciences through Unibuddy on our website.
Hopefully they will be able to answer any specific questions you might have about Zoology, but if you would like to know anything about the University in general, please let me know
Anna
University of Sheffield Alumni
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi Medb,

Great to hear you're thinking of applying to Sheffield! Sounds like you've done a lot of research already. If you still have any questions, you can message current students via our Chat to Us service. India is a third year MBiolSci Zoology student, and Daniel studies our Biology course - located in the same academic department.

If you have any questions about studying in Sheffield more generally, I'm also happy to help. Feel free to reply to this post, or direct message me if you'd prefer

-Ben
Sheffield Graduate
BSc Molecular Biology (2016-19)
MSc Human and Molecular Genetics (2019-20)
Swansea University Enquiries
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Medb)
Hi Medb :hello:

It sounds like you're set on your subject area and topics of interest which is great, and you've narrowed down your choices to some excellent Universities!

Here in Swansea our typical Access to HE offer is: 24 Distinctions (3 of which must be Biology) and 15 Merits at Level 3.

We're very proud of our state-of-the-art teaching and research facilities include the Centre for Sustainable Aquatic Research, a Zoological Museum, a custom-designed 18 metre catamaran-class survey vessel, and a unique visualisation centre that displays multi-dimensional information from animal tracking data.

If student experience is what you're interested in, then Swansea's proximity to the coast and varied local habitats should interest you. If you'd like to know more about the course and Swansea from a Student's point of view then you can read more here and chat with our current students here. The year in industry option is very popular with biosciences students to gain work experience and develop their skills before they graduate

I hope this helps, if you have any questions then do let me know or email us on [email protected]. Best of luck!

- Mia, Admissions Office
University of Sheffield Students
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Medb)
Hi there,

I am a currently in my third year for biology at The University of Sheffield and I would really recommend applying. The Animal and Plant Sciences (APS) Department at Sheffield is one of the best in the country and it offers a wide range of degrees including: Biology with a Year Abroad (my course), Biology with a Placement Year, Integrated Masters courses, Plant Science, Zoology, and Ecology.

From your post, I believe that Sheffield has a number of modules that you will enjoy should you choose to study here. Sheffield offers a biodiversity course in the first year which will give you a broad understanding of several different taxa including the invertebrates and amphibians/ reptiles, as well as an animal behaviour course where you will learn about why some taxa behave in the ways that they do. In the second year you can develop your knowledge further through modules including animal diversity, behavioural ecology, insect biology projects, and tropical field ecology. In the third year you have the opportunity to go on a field course to either North Wales, Portugal, Sweden, or the Peak District. You will also be able to study cooperation & conflict, and topics in modern zoology should these courses interest you.

You can take your degree further by enrolling on the four-year Masters of Biological Sciences where you will be able to conduct a research project on a topic of interest.

Finally, we do also have our own museum within the Department called "The Alfred Denny Museum"

Here is a link to the Biosciences home page so you can have a look at the different options available to you: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/bioscien...aduate/courses

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Daniel
Third Year
MBiolSci Biology with a Year Abroad
UniofReading
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by UniofReading)
Hi Medb,

Whilst I don't study zoology, Jessica on unibuddy does. She's a 3rd year student who also volunteers at our very own museum - The Cole Museum. It is also used extensively during the Zoology degree. You can speak to Jessica here: https://www.reading.ac.uk/about/chat...-students.aspx
In addition to that, we have fantastic facilities with a new Health and Life Sciences building.

Here you can also see what we have to offer at Reading University in terms of the modules available etc https://www.reading.ac.uk/biological...-homepage.aspx

Hope this helps you and feel free to let us know if you do have any questions!
From,

Amina 😊
Hey Medb

I'm studying Biological Sciences but most of my modules are zoology based!
Studying at Reading is amazing, one of the things that really stood out to me in first year was the availability and ease of practicals. Our campus has 3 distinct habitats with plenty of wildlife, from the aquatic birds at the lake (which we used in a experiment during first year to test the theory of ideal free distribution!), we also have the wilderness with a variety of small rodents, and plenty of insects!
In second year had the option to take a module of entomology and one entitled reptiles and dinosaurs and I cannot guarantee that they will always be offered but they are well established and well loved modules.
We have also just had a brand new Health and Life sciences building opened this year which houses the Cole Museum of Zoology that Amina mentioned, and some amazing new labs! I have had a couple of practicals in these so far including observing live locusts feeding, silk worms searching for a spot to build their cocoons and observing specimens of both under microscopes. I am of course biased, but these labs are honestly incredible.

The quality of teaching and support I have received has been amazing, I have an academic tutor who I meet with often to discuss my progress, any issues I am having or how to access extra support if I need it. This week alone I have had 3 meetings with one of my lecturers as I had questions about a particular assignment, (stats really isn't my thing) but the support is incredible.

If there is anything else I can tell you about please do ask.

Zoe
Second year Biological sciences and student ambassadors
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (20)
13.33%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (41)
27.33%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (62)
41.33%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (23)
15.33%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
2.67%

Watched Threads