Are universities being more lenient this year?

Watch
strhythm
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Is anyone aware of whether or not universities are being/ have been more lenient with this year's application?

I thought they were considering applications as usual but a lot of friends have been saying that they're likely to be slightly more lenient because of the circumstances when giving out offers.
Advertisement
Joe Frazier
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by strhythm)
Is anyone aware of whether or not universities are being/ have been more lenient with this year's application?

I thought they were considering applications as usual but a lot of friends have been saying that they're likely to be slightly more lenient because of the circumstances when giving out offers.
I feel like this year is likely to be harsher than most - not only have many chosen to taken gap years because of the pandemic, but also universities were forced to accept lower grades last year than usual - something they won't want to do again. Add to this an increase in international students and I think you'll find this year to be one of the most competitive.
Savblanc
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Joe Frazier)
I feel like this year is likely to be harsher than most - not only have many chosen to taken gap years because of the pandemic, but also universities were forced to accept lower grades last year than usual - something they won't want to do again. Add to this an increase in international students and I think you'll find this year to be one of the most competitive.
I'm surprised there will be an increase in international students applying tbh as no one knows what's going on with situation. I would of thought less. unless of course loads have deferred from this year
Advertisement
strhythm
Rep:
?
Yeah that's what I would've thought - not knowing what will happen with covid I think might put a lot of of them off, especially seeing how our government handled the situation
strhythm
Rep:
?
I suppose it can go both ways ://
They might be harsher due to the increase in deferrals, however, they might also be more lenient as they might (hopefully) sympathise with what current year 13s have had to go through
Advertisement
Admit-One
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
To my knowledge there have not been any significant changes.

Aside from a slight tweak to external entrance examinations, the Uni where I work is making offers based on the same criteria as last cycle.

Come results time, uni’s may end up being a little more lenient but it’s hard to say for sure. We haven’t seen big numbers deferring and EU numbers are likely to be lower as those students will now mostly be paying international fees thanks to brexit.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (17)
13.49%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (30)
23.81%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (55)
43.65%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (20)
15.87%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
3.17%

Watched Threads